Sundown Audio

What's causing overload?

Alex Musak

Recently picked up a used Hertz HDP4 and something is causing it to overload and go into protection. When i first installed it I had a very bad sounding ground loop noise, eventually went away by grounding the RCA terminals on the radio. When I tried setting my gains using a 1000hz test tone it immediately went into overload protection without turning up the gains. Didn't matter if it was via USB, CD, or which RCA out I used. Turned the amp on and set the gains by ear and it cranked!! Sounded fantastic.....then after about 20 minutes of playing tunes, amp was extremely hot and went into protection.

My guess is something internal needs replacing. I'm aware of Freemans Stereo for fixing....any other advice or places I could send it to?

Thanks

un plug the load...... (speaker leads) and see if it stays on.

Ky thanks.....came back to post this. Yes --- without any speakers connected, only RCA coming from the HU a 1000hz test tone (at a low volume) sends it into OL. The amp will stay on when playing music from the HU at low volumes, just gets pretty damn hot.

I've connected a Soundstream TN4.900 in the meantime (similar in size, power, draw, etc.) and have no issues with power, ground, speaker leads, etc.

What size are your power and ground wires?

shouldn't be an issue if it's protecting without a load.

Might have a dead FET or something. I'm not as good at pcb debug as I'd like but it sounds like you've done the troubleshooting to pin it to the amp.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Thanks fellas.....yeah man I tried troubleshooting as good as I could. Power is 8awg and ground is 4awg.

Hoping it's something fixable on the board as the sound does sound awesome when working.

Thanks.

that 8awg might not be the cause of this problem but it should be 4awg and power/ground should always be the same size.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Archived