Mechman Alternators

Mechman 320s series billet unit issue

I bought a mechman 320 s billet hairpin alternator for my ford mustang late last year,just got it in maybe a month ago or so been working fine (kinda) I had hoped to get 14.5 volts out of the unit(requested 14.5 when i ordered) when i was seeing 13.9at max

anyways a couple weeks ago i dropped in a different stereo and everything was going fine (i think) i am only running at 2 ohms on amp right now so getting maybe 3000 watts out at the most

at 2 ohm load on amplifier im dropping into high 12s (not terrible) snaps right back

now today I was driving to work and i looked down and seen voltage ranging from 13.5 to 15 volts,jumping around even with radio down,wasnt doing it all the time but here and there

I could also hear a bit of whirring from up by the engine ( i suspect it was the alternator bearings maybe?)

so i popped the hood and this is what i saw

CAM00287.jpg

the bolt on the positive output of alternator had turned white i believe this bolt was copper colored when i got it with the alternator???, is there any explanation why that would be? and also why the voltage would be jumping around? possible regulator gone bad on alternator?

Kenwood excelon ddx795

3 370 amp CES alternators (audio side only)           
       McLaren dome tweeters                                   Crescendo 6.5 ultra neos 
                                                 NVX JAD800.4
                                            4 PA x4 SPL 18's
                     4 Digital Designs m5's at .7 ohms each
        2 K2 80 ah lithiums

3 group 31 agms                                       Ledglow million color (12 piece)

2007 Yukon xl

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the nut is copper tbh. I just did. Mine.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

yea maybe it wasnt, i see a bit of corrosion developing there though.

still want to know about the weird voltage issue though

Kenwood excelon ddx795

McLaren dome tweeters                                   Crescendo 6.5 ultra neos 
                                                 NVX JAD800.4
                                            4 PA x4 SPL 18's
        2 K2 80 ah lithiums

3 group 31 agms                                       Ledglow million color (12 piece)

2007 Yukon xl

not to mention alternator never charged at idle even thoguh idle information crank pulley size was provided

i have tried gettn the car to idle a bit higher thru tps manipulation but hasnt worked yet

Kenwood excelon ddx795

NVX JAD800.4
                                            4 PA x4 SPL 18's
        2 K2 80 ah lithiums

2007 Yukon xl

What volt meter were you using to measure that it was jumping around from 13-15 while driving to work?

not to mention alternator never charged at idle even thoguh idle information crank pulley size was provided

i have tried gettn the car to idle a bit higher thru tps manipulation but hasnt worked yet

Not true.. Depends who makes it and If it's hairpin

Op does the voltage jump when you accelerate? Did you replace the tensioner and a smaller belt? Slip is always the issue

yea belt was replaced with smaller,tensioner good, voltage during acceleration is fine i was driving along at 60 mph and watchin voltage fluctuate,this was showing on a stinger voltmeter i now have a digital multimeter installed and will check tonight on way to work

alternator is a hairpin,belt wrap is very good and dont see any black dust anywhere

Kenwood excelon ddx795

NVX JAD800.4
                                            4 PA x4 SPL 18's
        2 K2 80 ah lithiums

2007 Yukon xl