First PC Build, How does it look? [WAITING ON PARTS]

Everything looks great that you have chosen.

My only wonder is why are you choosing an 850W PSU?

It is of course nice to have overhead for overclocking, but a 700W would perform perfectly for a single card.

Now if you have the money buying a larger than needed PSU is a great plan as it will allow for the future of the SLI of another 970 to your build.

For windows 10, I believe as long as you have a genuine copy of 7.1-8.1 and register for a free copy of windows 10 by July 28th you will get a free upgrade to windows 10.

You may also look into if they are still planning on giving people that have the windows 10 preview installed (free to download from Microsoft) a free copy as well, since that would save $100, even if it doesn't work then you didn't lose anything if you didn't already spend that money that would have been towards an OS.

To be completely honest, I was recommended by another forum. But if my PC doesn't need it, I'll look into the 700W.

I'll ask my brother about the windows. He knows a few people who work there. Thanks. And for the raid 0, is it worth it? I'm trying to save as much money as possible, but if it's THAT much better , Ill probably consider it

MOB-MOBILE: 2005 Honda Accord 5-Speed System: (1) Sundown Audio SA-15 (1) MB Quart ONX1.1500D (1) Kenwood KDC-248U

Speakers:

-Rear Dash: (2) Clarion SRQ6932R 6x9's SOLD

New MOB-MOBILE:

2011 G37S Sedan

System:
TBD

Instagram (18+) : DabsWitaBudget415

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If gaming then not needed. The couple FPS you might gain you could get much easier with some of the money spent on another SSD on GPU.

I would only get a second SSD as another drive to store games that you want faster loading times on. The speeds at which SSDs operate at are currently not going to be a bottleneck from a gaming perspective.

However if you are performing a process that is super data intensive you can see a benefit. I still suggest against raid 0 for safety reasons. You don't want to lose all your data if one of the two drives break down.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

If gaming then not needed. The couple FPS you might gain you could get much easier with some of the money spent on another SSD on GPU.

I would only get a second SSD as another drive to store games that you want faster loading times on. The speeds at which SSDs operate at are currently not going to be a bottleneck from a gaming perspective.

However if you are performing a process that is super data intensive you can see a benefit. I still suggest against raid 0 for safety reasons. You don't want to lose all your data if one of the two drives break down.

Well if what I just googled was the correct price for one (half the Cost of my entire build), im FORSURE going to have to pass.

For the PSU, do you recommend any other brands or just lower it from the current to 700.

As for RAM, I found the corsair vengeance 16 GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory. Is there anything like this but better ? Rootbeer said something about it but I'm not even going to pretend I know what he said exactly (#teamnovice). So what's a better suggestion for RAM that's compatible to my CPU

MOB-MOBILE: 2005 Honda Accord 5-Speed System: (1) Sundown Audio SA-15 (1) MB Quart ONX1.1500D (1) Kenwood KDC-248U

Speakers:

New MOB-MOBILE:

2011 G37S Sedan

System:
TBD

To him it possibly could. I have no idea how the program works that he uses to code. Usually, when using a computer for professional needs, things that are a little extreme tend to benefit them more.

Edit: For the PSU, I went with Antec and love it. You got Antec, Corsair, EVGA, Gigabyte, NZXT, OCZ that are good. I am sure there are plenty of other brands just as good. There are so many out there now a days. As for the ram, I was talking about the timings on it. You honestly won't probably notice a major difference in one with timings 1 number lower. Because if you went any lower, you'd be out of budget.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

To him it possibly could. I have no idea how the program works that he uses to code. Usually, when using a computer for professional needs, things that are a little extreme tend to benefit them more.
I use multiple compilers for different languages / purposes. What I want to have FOR sure is multitasking while coding, debugging, and testing a program. Say for example im testing an app and I'm running it while coding it in order to debug / find errors step-by-step. If that makes sense

EDIT: Btw, maybe even stream, edit or record videos as I got a nice shot on COD.. :D might try and hit the main stage for next COD if it was like the competitive scene wit BO2

Speakers:

New MOB-MOBILE:

2011 G37S Sedan

System:
TBD

I somehow completely missed that you were also going to use it to code.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

I use multiple compilers for different languages / purposes. What I want to have FOR sure is multitasking while coding, debugging, and testing a program. Say for example im testing an app and I'm running it while coding it in order to debug / find errors step-by-step. If that makes sense

EDIT: Btw, maybe even stream, edit or record videos as I got a nice shot on COD.. :D might try and hit the main stage for next COD if it was like the competitive scene wit BO2

I know the basic processes of coding, I messed around with VB6 when I was in my early teens. I would say, start off with a single SSD and if down the road you feel like you want to try it, or ever know someone with SSD's in RAID 0 check it out. Programs like you are using, even video editing and production software, is either single threaded or multi threaded. That's what the benefit the most from. And with that CPU you will handle any program. Having more ram just allows you to have more applications or programs running at a single time. I really don't think you will notice a difference in RAM with a smaller timing. From what I have read, actual MHz speeds on RAM make more of a difference in today's age than timings do.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Whats up SMDers,

Its been a minute since I've been posting on this forum due to school and other personal scenarios. During that time, I decided to build my first PC as I am coding and I need an update from my laptop (I also want to play CS:GO :D). I've done some research but no where near where I need to be (I think at least) so I need yall help!

I constructed this build from the followin website (Reddict subcategory) : http://www.logicalincrements.com/

My overall goals for this build is to have a PC that is capable of playing most games (CS:GO , StarCraft, Etc. Not going to play ALL these games, but just using as reference). I also want it to be capable of improving or overclocking if needed / desired in the future. Overall, my brother built his computer a few years ago and he will help me, but I need to choose the list myself. So.....

Here is the list I have put together so far for my first PC build:

CPU - $235.99: Intel Core i5-4690K Processor 3.5 GHz LGA 1150 BX80646I54690K

Graphics Card - $350.00: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970

Case - $140: NZXT 630

Motherboard - $190.00: MSI Z97-Gaming 7 or ASUS Z97-PRO

RAM - $55.00: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB Single DDR3 1600 MT/s

HSF (Cooling) - $35.00: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan

HDD - $51.00: Seagate 1TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive

SSD - $85.00: Crucial BX100 250GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive

Power Supply - $140.00: EVGA 850 G2

Total: ~$1,282.00

I wasn't sure if I needed a HDD and SSD (read somewhere you do NOT) but since I also read somewhere that people "usually" have both, I added both just in case to justify the total cost.

Also, I am fairly new to PC components / parts and have they mix-and-match accordingly due to pins, CPU, etc. So if any of these parts do not match with the i5-4690k, please let me know.

THANKS IN ADVANCED.

I see all the talk about SSD and HDD.

HDD are for backups and storage. You wouldn't put your music on an SSD. It's not going to play any faster :rofl:

So, store your valuables (music, movies, pics, documents) on the HDD. Put your OS and programs on the SSD and setup a backup of the entire drive w/ a windows image. Set your backup file location on the HDD. That's probably the best and most cost effective use of an SSD and HDD combo.

All an SSD will do is reduce load times (read/write times).

Your CPU does everything else in terms of coding, calculations, and multitasking. I don't know much about that specific CPU, but I know that socket is fairly popular. Should work fine.

I have the AMD version of that motherboard in mATX format. Love it. You will too.

GPU is badass.

I'd definitely recommend a dual channel RAM kit. 2x4gb or 2x8gb sticks. 16gb is really overkill unless running a server, but if it's in your budget, go for the 16gb.

That cooler has something like 1.2k reviews on newegg. Very nice cooler.

Harddrives look good. I'd take a look at the SanDisk for SSD before you pull the trigger. I have 3 120gb SanDisks in my system. They were $45 a piece and they do anything and everything I ask.

Only thing you need to consider for a PSU is the rating. Get something at least Bronze rated. Nothing less. I personally use a corsair PSU, but I'm not really brand specific. Got it on sale.

I heard seasonic released some good PSUs this year.

2009 Dodge Caliber SXT (Silver)

Deck: Pioneer X3600BHS

Amps: RF P1000X5

Front: RF P16-S

Rear: RF P1694

Subs: 1 RF P3D2-10

Cabling: Stinger 6 channel RCA, RF 4gauge kit, SkyHighCarAudio 16gauge speaker wire.

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/188246-caliber-build

Professional Networking: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kade-mallett-332b8a104

Everything looks pretty solid except a few things I would change.

The RAM, you need 16GB minimum. Also 1600MHz is slow, you should kick it up to 2400MHz like this kit:

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16820231589

Faster RAM really helps in games. Also, when I had 8GB of RAM... I noticed it made a large paging file of 10GB off my SSD drive. You do not want that because it uses your SSD for overflow RAM space once all of your physical RAM is used up... and it will cause your SSD to not last as long as it could since they have a limit of read/write capacity. I have seen my usage well into the 13.5GB range.

I would also look into a MX200 SSD rather than last gen stuff that is much slower on write times.

You can also look into M.2 SSD drives if you want even faster. The best ones right now are the samsung XP941 drives. They are better cause they are not bottlenecked by SATA III.

Or you can get really crazy and get one of those SSD drives that use PCI-E 8X that have 2.2GB/s transfer rates on the Mushkin Scorpion Deluxe.

You could save a little on a Corsair 450D for your case.

For your PSU, 850w is overkill. You would do just fine with 650w. If you go with a 650w unit, I would look for a Platinum certified unit.

Everything looks pretty solid except a few things I would change.

The RAM, you need 16GB minimum. Also 1600MHz is slow, you should kick it up to 2400MHz like this kit:

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16820231589

Faster RAM really helps in games. Also, when I had 8GB of RAM... I noticed it made a large paging file of 10GB off my SSD drive. You do not want that because it uses your SSD for overflow RAM space once all of your physical RAM is used up... and it will cause your SSD to not last as long as it could since they have a limit of read/write capacity. I have seen my usage well into the 13.5GB range.

I would also look into a MX200 SSD rather than last gen stuff that is much slower on write times.

You can also look into M.2 SSD drives if you want even faster. The best ones right now are the samsung XP941 drives. They are better cause they are not bottlenecked by SATA III.

Or you can get really crazy and get one of those SSD drives that use PCI-E 8X that have 2.2GB/s transfer rates on the Mushkin Scorpion Deluxe.

You could save a little on a Corsair 450D for your case.

For your PSU, 850w is overkill. You would do just fine with 650w. If you go with a 650w unit, I would look for a Platinum certified unit.

Can I get a a 2400? Another member mentioned earleir that my CPU is only compatible with 1333mhz or 1600mhz? Not to sure, as like I said, I'm still learning about all the sub-components that correlate with one another.

And that is exactly what my brother just told me. I told him yall suggested a 700W and he said I can maintain perfectly fine with a 650W. But the main question is ^^^, can I geta 2400?

Speakers:

New MOB-MOBILE:

2011 G37S Sedan

System:
TBD

Archived