First PC Build, How does it look? [WAITING ON PARTS]

I doubt you would get any benefit.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, that RAM will work just fine. It's X.M.P. (Extreme Memory Profile) RAM. What that means is, it's factory overclocked and it has a setting that you have to enable in the BIOS. It's a one click settings, so you don't have to adjust the latency or voltage, it's really simple.

Also, while Linus argues how it's not worth it... He's basing it off of a very small scale. Games that utilize physx and games in the future that will use DX12 will heavily benefit from the faster RAM. The RAM I recommend is CAS10 @ 2400Mhz which is quite a bit better than what most reviewers are showing. Also, the more powerful the GPU, the more scaling you get on the performance increase you get... Just keep in mind, that video was done 2 years ago. Personally, I have seen major improvements in my games with faster RAM.

Here is a review showing of hardware people were using back then and how it scaled:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7364/memory-scaling-on-haswell

In the part of the review where they used Crossfire and Tri-CFX it was showing even bigger improvements with HD5800 series cards... which are nothing compared to what is out now.

For the case, I'm now looking at a phantom. Not quite sure which yet. saves around $40. Unless any suggestions on a midtower case?

If I'm not gonna OC right away, do I need a cooling unit? And also, do I need a HDD if I'm getting a SSD? Can't I just get the SSD and if Im running out of space, buy a HDD then? EDIT: I think krakin already answered that. My bad haha)

As for the 2400, im still debating as people are saying it's not gonna make a huge difference but others are saying it will. I'm going to get a 16GB probably if I see one on sale.

Best sites to look for sales on parts besides amazon / newegg

MOB-MOBILE: 2005 Honda Accord 5-Speed System: (1) Sundown Audio SA-15 (1) MB Quart ONX1.1500D (1) Kenwood KDC-248U

Speakers:

-Rear Dash: (2) Clarion SRQ6932R 6x9's SOLD

New MOB-MOBILE:

2011 G37S Sedan

System:
TBD

Instagram (18+) : DabsWitaBudget415

Also might look at the r9 instead of GTX 970, any feedback?

MOB-MOBILE: 2005 Honda Accord 5-Speed System: (1) Sundown Audio SA-15 (1) MB Quart ONX1.1500D (1) Kenwood KDC-248U

Speakers:

-Rear Dash: (2) Clarion SRQ6932R 6x9's SOLD

New MOB-MOBILE:

2011 G37S Sedan

System:
TBD

Instagram (18+) : DabsWitaBudget415

If you have a microcenter near you, you can get awesome deals on CPU/Motherboard combos.

For your hard drive, I actually recommend going for a 480-512GB drive if you are going to opt out of a second drive. Games are only getting larger and you run out of space really fast with only 250GB.

I really like Corsairs cases. Their 730T is a full size case, but its a great deal.

The R9 cards are great. I would stick to MSI for those. I have owned 4 of them. The sapphire ones were pretty decent. MSI has some nice ones too. The only issue is the heat is a little more. The new Fury X is what I am waiting for at the moment.

I have also owned 2 GTX 970's and currently own a GTX 980. I highly suggest running a single card that is more powerful than trying to get more bang for your buck with SLI or CFX.

As for the whole RAM debate... just remember how fast things change or people are not aware of. Nvidia designed their new maxwell cards (GTX900 series) to use system RAM for VRAM overflow. It makes a huge difference and its tech that is still pretty recent.

Also might look at the r9 instead of GTX 970, any feedback?

I have a Powercolor R9 290. It handles all my games at 1080p maxed out. Never drops below 40 fps. GTA5, WoW, StarCraft 2, Battlefield 4...I like it.

It does take up 2.5 slots. The cooler is huge, but it keeps everything at low temps. Wouldn't be able to crossfire it on some boards.

2009 Dodge Caliber SXT (Silver)

Deck: Pioneer X3600BHS

Amps: RF P1000X5

Front: RF P16-S

Rear: RF P1694

Subs: 1 RF P3D2-10

Cabling: Stinger 6 channel RCA, RF 4gauge kit, SkyHighCarAudio 16gauge speaker wire.

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/188246-caliber-build

Professional Networking: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kade-mallett-332b8a104

WoW maxed out will take a R9 290 to it's knee's... My GTX 980 can't even handle WoW maxed out with the new AA they just put in patch 6.1. It really depends on what maxed out means to you, since it's objective. I want to move over to a Fury X to be ready for 4K gaming.

WoW maxed out will take a R9 290 to it's knee's... My GTX 980 can't even handle WoW maxed out with the new AA they just put in patch 6.1. It really depends on what maxed out means to you, since it's objective. I want to move over to a Fury X to be ready for 4K gaming.

I haven't played the new patch yet, but before that in dungeons I was maxed out on my settings. Sometimes I dipped to 18ish when things got crazy.

Out in the world with other players... To it's knees lol. I never really quested that much. Guess I should've noted that.

2009 Dodge Caliber SXT (Silver)

Deck: Pioneer X3600BHS

Amps: RF P1000X5

Front: RF P16-S

Rear: RF P1694

Subs: 1 RF P3D2-10

Cabling: Stinger 6 channel RCA, RF 4gauge kit, SkyHighCarAudio 16gauge speaker wire.

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/188246-caliber-build

Professional Networking: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kade-mallett-332b8a104

Whats up SMDers,

Its been a minute since I've been posting on this forum due to school and other personal scenarios. During that time, I decided to build my first PC as I am coding and I need an update from my laptop (I also want to play CS:GO :D). I've done some research but no where near where I need to be (I think at least) so I need yall help!

I constructed this build from the followin website (Reddict subcategory) : http://www.logicalincrements.com/

My overall goals for this build is to have a PC that is capable of playing most games (CS:GO , StarCraft, Etc. Not going to play ALL these games, but just using as reference). I also want it to be capable of improving or overclocking if needed / desired in the future. Overall, my brother built his computer a few years ago and he will help me, but I need to choose the list myself. So.....

Here is the list I have put together so far for my first PC build:

CPU - $235.99: Intel Core i5-4690K Processor 3.5 GHz LGA 1150 BX80646I54690K

Graphics Card - $350.00: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970

Case - $140: NZXT 630

Motherboard - $190.00: MSI Z97-Gaming 7 or ASUS Z97-PRO

RAM - $55.00: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB Single DDR3 1600 MT/s

HSF (Cooling) - $35.00: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan

HDD - $51.00: Seagate 1TB Desktop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive

SSD - $85.00: Crucial BX100 250GB SATA 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive

Power Supply - $140.00: EVGA 850 G2

Total: ~$1,282.00

I wasn't sure if I needed a HDD and SSD (read somewhere you do NOT) but since I also read somewhere that people "usually" have both, I added both just in case to justify the total cost.

Also, I am fairly new to PC components / parts and have they mix-and-match accordingly due to pins, CPU, etc. So if any of these parts do not match with the i5-4690k, please let me know.

THANKS IN ADVANCED.

Everything looks good to me. I say go for it. My only suggestion would be raid 0 for speed or raid 5 for speed and security considering everything that you will be doing. You don't need a power supply that big but it will not hurt. As long as you have enough power on all rails you are good. It doesn't really help to maximize everything now but it doesn't really hurt either. Well, as long as the speeds of all components are matching. It would be best to avoid bottlenecks.

I haven't played the new patch yet, but before that in dungeons I was maxed out on my settings. Sometimes I dipped to 18ish when things got crazy.

Out in the world with other players... To it's knees lol. I never really quested that much. Guess I should've noted that.

I only run PvP when I play, I did a little questing to level, but that's about it... Even in the battlegrounds, old and new... They will rip my FPS down into single digits if I max everything out now... That's with my GTX 980 @ 1500MHz core clock and i'm only playing at 1080p. The AA they added is ridiculous on performance.

Archived