Sundown Audio

CAB 1600.1

islandpride684

Old post, but I think that SMD put the debate about this amp to rest, and buried it 18 feet under. Now, this does not address the long term viability of the amp, but if it can put up with the stresses he subjected it to, many of which were well below the published specs for the amp, then it can probably handle real world use within spec for quite some time. The fact that he did not smoke it is pretty good proof that it is more than well built. It's one of those rare devices where they choose to use the best components, but keep costs low through other methods like a smaller workforce, minimal advertising, and other front office cost savings. i

I remember back in the 80's, I read an article about the first American ever put in charge of a redesign of the Accord, which was Honda's flagship car at the time, so letting an American do the redesign was a big deal. He had come from a long career at GM. He gave an example of the difference in the culture between the two companies. He said that GM would look at something like a control arm and say " what is the cheapest we can build it?" But at Honda, they would look at a control arm and say "What is the cheapest way to build the part we designed?" That meant that they would not compromise on the specs, they would only accept the company who could match their specs for the lowest price. That is a different mindset about how things are built, and the past 30 years have pretty much proven which method works best as far as GM and Honda go,

Now, I'm not saying that these guys are the Honda of amp builders, but it is obvious that they use solid components in critical places rather than cutting corners on critical hardware, which is something we need more of in the low to mid end component market. I would love to see what they could do with an amp built to a $300 price point. Anyway, enough of my preaching. Here is the video:

Except for the fact for the actual amp in that video went up in smoke not long after that video was made, from my understanding anyways.

It's a shit amp, plain and simple.

Not to mention the fact that their customer service is horrible.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Except for the fact for the actual amp in that video went up in smoke not long after that video was made, from my understanding anyways.

It's a shit amp, plain and simple.

Not to mention the fact that their customer service is horrible.

Oh? I seriously thought it was concluded that this was basically the definition of a good budget amp. When did things start going wrong? Ask because I was about to buy two soon, haha.

I've been looking for the post where Steve says the amp went up in smoke. Can anybody help me find that post? Thanks

bump

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

• 4 weeks later...

Mine lasted a few months on about 1/4 gain. Turned the car on, had the volume on low and the first bass note hit, the subs just cut out and the whole car stunk. Going to pop it open this weekend and take some pictures. Can't fault it when it worked. Even on 1/4 gain it was slapping. This was running two 1999 model Orion HCCA 12's. Running at 2 ohms.

Current: Two old school Orion HCCA 12's, No amp currently. Did run DAT Hellfire Prototype.

Old set up: Orion 2NT 15", Logic Soundlabs GSX32D,

Mine lasted a few months on about 1/4 gain. Turned the car on, had the volume on low and the first bass note hit, the subs just cut out and the whole car stunk. Going to pop it open this weekend and take some pictures. Can't fault it when it worked. Even on 1/4 gain it was slapping. This was running two 1999 model Orion HCCA 12's. Running at 2 ohms.

"1/4" gain could easily be full output. So saying even on 1/4 gain makes 0 sense. You could have been overdriving the shit it if the amp and killed it that way.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

• 1 year later...

My personal experience I’m running four on two zvx 18s and they have been doing great for three years with absolutely no issues. They are very power hungry so you better have great electrical. I absolutely love them . . Obviously there pretty damn good or I wouldn’t have bought four of them . You guys that are skeptical, don’t be . It’s an awesome Budget amp. Two of these guys strapped are awesome. Just my two cents. 

Archived