now thats a home theater setup

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been installing home theater for years. Very expensive ones at that for some very important people.

No plans ive ever seen ever called for something like this ...

The primary forward firing drivers are too low. The arrays should be positioned atleast 6 ft. high. So should the center channel.

I've never seen movie theaters setup with primary drivers on the floor. None with subs that tall either ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Im just going to toss this out there...

Seeing whats in front I would imagine that there are some sort of speaker set up in rest of the room you cant see in the pic..

Yes, I'm sure there is. My thing is the use of studio equipment and the way it's positioned.

Also almost all the professional theaters that I know of use "studio equipment", its usually exceptional depending on brand of course. QSC and Crown being personal favorites.

The positioning is suspect but I think he has taken care of that via processing.

Professional theaters like Imax yes, I agree ... but not home theater.

With all that equipment lighting up, you need friggin sunglasses to stand in front of it with the projector off....

Definately

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

I've been installing home theater for years. Very expensive ones at that for some very important people.

No plans ive ever seen ever called for something like this ...

The primary forward firing drivers are too low. The arrays should be positioned atleast 6 ft. high. So should the center channel.

I've never seen movie theaters setup with primary drivers on the floor. None with subs that tall either ...

Agreed about spacing of the speakers in that space, my comment was to the amps. And I wasn't disagreeing with you really, sorry didn't mean it to come out that way I wrote it in passing to be honest.

And yea I think its stupid to put the amps in the front. Usually they are in a equipment rack or someplace way out of the way.

Im just going to toss this out there...

Seeing whats in front I would imagine that there are some sort of speaker set up in rest of the room you cant see in the pic..

Yes, I'm sure there is. My thing is the use of studio equipment and the way it's positioned.
Also almost all the professional theaters that I know of use "studio equipment", its usually exceptional depending on brand of course. QSC and Crown being personal favorites.

The positioning is suspect but I think he has taken care of that via processing.

Professional theaters like Imax yes, I agree ... but not home theater.

With all that equipment lighting up, you need friggin sunglasses to stand in front of it with the projector off....

Definately

yea you really need the space, and really for a professional theater (meaning not at home as in a amc or whatever) you are more worried about directivity right? Sound spacing and coverage over a intended height.

Cool and all but too much equipment and not enough screen, the system overpowers the screen in a bad way imo, but that is just my opinion though.

I like the visual but yea, practically is lacking.

Although some of these guys over on AVS forum have some awesome writeups on screen size. Its interesting because at a certain point you just kinda get lost. I've explained this to people that asked me about buying a tv for a given room, you can actually have TOO big of a screen IMHO. At a certain point it gets awkward to watch, but this usually can be solved by moving the seating position.

I think the speakers in this thing are cool, as a visual piece more then functionality.

Meh just a cool weekend picture, surprised it got this much attention. If I find one a little more worthy I'll post it up.

Like I said earlier ... I like it, alot !!!

Just nothing I could sell to a customer as a practical home theater.

Just saying

Like I said earlier ... I like it, alot !!!

Just nothing I could sell to a customer as a practical home theater.

Just saying

definitely not, if anything its a cautionary tale that if you want a home theater you better make sure you have tall ceilings and depth. In basements it seems like height is always an issue.

To the following comments:

- Too many lights / electronics: It's a long exposure picture. Everything is very dim and does not take away from the screen. The lighting in the room is dark, and that's the only way to actually see all the equipment.

- Too close together: That back wall is 25' long and 8' high. This isn't a basement. The fronts are spaced about 12' apart, the listening distance to the seat is about the same.

- Too low: The compression drivers are actually above ear height. The dispersion pattern (90x50) provide quite the sweet spot.

- Everything up front: You clearly didn't click the link, it's a full 7.2 setup.

- Too much: It's a large room, and not easy to fill. This used to be a smaller sealed setup, but it wasn't enough. It's not fun when you have 8 LMS Ultra's hitting the spider supports. Going ported fixed this issue.

- System overpowers the screen: It's a 120" screen at 12' distance. The picture is with a wide angle lens and makes it look small. It's not.

- Not practical: No shit, but it's awesome ;) The only really impractical bit is the size of the sub cabintes.

So many experts on the internet ;)

Archived