Sundown Audio

It's time to get some new equipemt in my new car. I was hoping I could get some opinions on which route to go. I am stuck deciding between one or two SA 15's, or one X 15 or 18. Budget is about $550 for subs. Space is not an issue and I don't mind using up the entire trunk. I also plan on selling my amps and just getting one nice amp for the subs and same for my speakers (unless anyone thinks I should just stick with what I have) Below is what I have so far for my build. I am contemplating between a SCV-1500D or a SCV-2000D depending on what I end up going with for sub(s).

Car: 2002 Trailblazer LT

Alternator: Stock 140 amp (I will upgrade it if I have to)

Big three: XS power XP kit for ease of installation

Battery: XS Power D3400 under the hood.

Head unit: Pioneer deh-80prs

Front stage: Morel Maximo 6.5 components (I plan on deadening all 4 doors)

Rear fill: Morel Maximo 6.5 coaxials

Speaker amp: old school Soundstream Pic 4.480 (had it for 10 years, it will get me by for now)

Subwoofer amps: 2 Viper d1200.1's that can be strapped. (more 10 year old amps)

I heard an SA 15 briefly and liked the way it sounded, but didn't get a chance to really hear it on a lot of different music. I have not heard the X. I wish I could just go somewhere and listen to them for myself, but that obviously isn't an option. I don't plan on competing, just looking for a nice daily driver setup that gets loud and low, while sounding clean and hopefully getting a little air moving :) I listen to mostly Rap, EDM, dubstep, and a little rock music here and there.

Only thing that scares me away from the X is seeing a lot of people talking about how they aren't very musical, but then I see people saying there are -- too many mixed reviews. I feel like the more I read and research, the more confused I get. I don't care want all out SPL and probably will never get it meetered. Loud to the ear while moving a bunch of air is good enough for me. Well, as least as much air as I am able to given the limited amount of power I will have. I don't plan on upgrading so I want to get this right the first time. I would like to keep electrical upgrades to a minimum,.

I am sick of going back and forth on sub/amp decisions for the past couple weeks. I want to just place and order already -- preferably today. Thanks in advance for any input anyone might have.

Edited by dnb1982

The X's are super musical.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Bowhunting- Life Begins and Ends at Full Draw

Bowhunting Team Fatal Trajectory Hunt Team

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/49335-sick96vtecaccords-t-line-build/?hl=sick96vtecaccord << Accord Build

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/68498-smokedout08impalas-tline-build/?hl=+sick96vtecaccord << Impala T-line build

Rebassed.com for all your music needs 👌

Two sa-15s would give more output than a single x-15 assuming you have the room to build a proper enclosure for them.

I'd go with two sa 15's on the scv-2000

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

The X's are super musical.

All I have really ran the last 10 years is a pair of old school RE Audio SX 12's and 15's, if they can be more musical than those then I am good with that. I want to just make sure I am taking a good step up in sound quality.

Two sa-15s would give more output than a single x-15 assuming you have the room to build a proper enclosure for them.

I'd go with two sa 15's on the scv-2000

I definitely have the room for two 15's or one 18. I figured I would still get more output from two SA 15's over just a single X 15 considering the cone area. Even though there is still more cone area for two SA 15's over a single 18 X, do you think the output would still end up being that much more? I am not looking for all out SPL. A good mix of everything would be nice. I want to hit the lows with authority, but still be able to get into the 40-50 hz. range. Don't want a one not wonder.

The last subs I ran were RE Audio SX 15's and while they got plenty loud for me, they didn't sound the best doing it.

You could probably find a zv4 15" used within your budget..... SCV-2000 all day long and not worry about shit unless you clip it

Never had the chance to hear a zv4 either. I have only heard an SA :(

you're in chi town...i'm sure someone around you has an X or two to listen to. I absolutely love my X10s, but I've never heard SAs either. :shrug: obviously, two SA15s would give more cone area=more efficiency. i'd look around and try to find someone who has an X series and take a listen for yourself! :drink40:

2007 Chevy Aveo Ls sedan

2 Sundown Xv2 on scv4k @ .5 ohm

2 pair RE XXX 6.5 components on sax200.4 @ 2 ohm

Big Three, Three runs 1/0 power from front to back, 1 ground front to back

Two runs ground from rear bank to chassis

XS power d3100 upfront, 3 Odyssey 2150s in bank

Singer 220 amp alt

you're in chi town...i'm sure someone around you has an X or two to listen to. I absolutely love my X10s, but I've never heard SAs either. :shrug: obviously, two SA15s would give more cone area=more efficiency. i'd look around and try to find someone who has an X series and take a listen for yourself! :drink40:

Yeah, I am sure there is someone, but I have no clue where to find them lol. The SA I heard was actually in a prefab box and surprisingly it still didn't sound bad, but I only heard it briefly so my opinion there could have changed if I got a chance to hear it on more music (although that wouldn't be the subs fault)