Second Skin Audio

Can I fit 2 SoundQubed HDS312's w/ these dimensions?

I have a 85 Monte Carlo SS that I'm trying to do a trunk build for. I already have 2 SQ subs, but I think I'm having issues seeing how they will fit. This is just a rough mock up process, as I haven't even sounddeadened the trunk yet, let alone an enclosure built, but I'm just thinking ahead.

Here is the area I have to work with:

12 3/4 H

41 3/4 L

21 3/4 D

I can get enough volume (I think), but with a height of maybe 12 3/4 max, can I even fit the cutout diameter on the face? I assume I could go subs up, port back, but I really wanted the subs facing back.

The sub frame floor is 1/2 birch, the supports are 3 3/4, and the false floor that the box will sit on is 1/2 birch. The side panels are 1/2 and the "lifting" part will be 1/2 as well.

20150714_164119.jpg

20150714_122940.jpg

20150714_171709.jpg

Learning Everyday.

Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD

Alpine SPS-610C

BXI-2008D

(2) SWR-1242D / Ported

The subs total diameter is 12.875", so no, you won't be able to do it subs back like you want unless you can squeeze an extra inch into the height. You have 6.7 cubic feet gross with those dimensions, so after displacements, you should have between 4.5-5 net, which is what is strongly recommended for those subs by the other members that use them and the enclosure designers on here. If you do an angled face for the subs to sit on then you could squeeze it the way you want. The angle wouldn't need to be too extreme. Just enough for you to get at least 13.5" tall on the baffle for the subs

You can probably face the subs back with a little creativity. You REALLY want to avoid facing subs up in a trunk car.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

The subs total diameter is 12.875", so no, you won't be able to do it subs back like you want unless you can squeeze an extra inch into the height. You have 6.7 cubic feet gross with those dimensions, so after displacements, you should have between 4.5-5 net, which is what is strongly recommended for those subs by the other members that use them and the enclosure designers on here. If you do an angled face for the subs to sit on then you could squeeze it the way you want. The angle wouldn't need to be too extreme. Just enough for you to get at least 13.5" tall on the baffle for the subs

hmmm, interesting. I didn't think of the angle idea, but I really don't want to do that. Just to get the 12 3/4 height, I had to take out the false floor beneath the box. I'm wondering what they did in this trunk...

2zzp5bn.jpg

Learning Everyday.

Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD

Alpine SPS-610C

BXI-2008D

(2) SWR-1242D / Ported

The cutout diameter for those subs is 11 1/4" + 1 1/2" (for the top and bottom panels of the enclosure made of 3/4" wood) = 12 3/4" so it already fits! The overall diameter is a tad more but that can be dealt with, the enclosure itself can be made 12 3/4" tall.

The overall diameter is a tad more but that can be dealt with, the enclosure itself can be made 12 3/4" tall.

I'm curious about how it can be dealt with. While an extra .125 inches isn't all that big, you'd still have some of the edge of the gasket sticking out from the enclosure.

And OP, as for how that person made their works, if those are 12 inch subs, then they are probably a tad smaller. Not all 12" subs are the same size, same for any size woofer. So that subs could be 12.25 instead of the 12.875 like the soundqubed hds312

The overall diameter is a tad more but that can be dealt with, the enclosure itself can be made 12 3/4" tall.

I'm curious about how it can be dealt with. While an extra .125 inches isn't all that big, you'd still have some of the edge of the gasket sticking out from the enclosure.

And OP, as for how that person made their works, if those are 12 inch subs, then they are probably a tad smaller. Not all 12" subs are the same size, same for any size woofer. So that subs could be 12.25 instead of the 12.875 like the soundqubed hds312

With the subs centered in the box that's only going to be 1/16" of gasket sticking over the top and bottom edge. I'm sure that won't be an issue.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I suppose not. I was just worried about how close the screw holes would be to the edge, but I took a look and there's about a 1/4 inch space between the hole and the edge of the gasket. Make it happen OP. I'd love to see a full build log of this. Love me some Chevy.

when i finish the rest, I'm going to try to make a mounting plate for sub at 12.75 and see if it fits.

what's up with a tiny battery?

I have two GPS systems in the car: one with the alarm and a secondary isolated GPS in the back. It works very well for a $65 system. That battery keeps the GPS on for about 3 months without a charge and when the battery is dying, I get "Battery Low" text alerts. In the event my car is towed and the alarm doesn't go off, as soon as the GPS is out of a 50 ft range, it'll start sending its location every 3 minutes automatically to my phone.

Learning Everyday.

Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD

Alpine SPS-610C

BXI-2008D

(2) SWR-1242D / Ported

Archived