Second Skin Audio

Hey guys,

I've got a 3,000 watt system that rattles my '07 Monte Carlo a bit and I have an SLP Loudmouth exhaust system with a turn down halfway down the car. I'm looking to start sound dampening my car, but I'm not sure how much I need. I don't feel like ripping everything out and covering every inch. I just want to cancel out some outside ambient noise and reduce trunk rattle. I measure (generously) the dimensions of the floor, doors, and trunk. It came out to roughly 98 sqft. This is a rough estimate, so if someone has the proper dimensions please hit me up. Anyways, I'm just wondering if I absolutely have to cover everything or if there are only like key spots I need to cover and in turn do I really need 98 sqft of dampener or would it be much less than that? I wonder since Dynamat, for example, has a door kit that is 12 sqft. This is less than I measured my doors at, but would that be enough and I'm just too much of a noob to know?

All help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerad

Semper Fi,

Jerad

I'd say 40%, just for debate. Sounds like a roaring exhaust. But Miguels knows his shit...so 25 for now, and see how it works!

2007 Chevy Aveo Ls sedan

2 Sundown Xv2 on scv4k @ .5 ohm

2 pair RE XXX 6.5 components on sax200.4 @ 2 ohm

Big Three, Three runs 1/0 power from front to back, 1 ground front to back

Two runs ground from rear bank to chassis

XS power d3100 upfront, 3 Odyssey 2150s in bank

Singer 220 amp alt

Awesome, thanks everyone. The Crutchfield tech gave me a typical sales answer of you can't have too much until you are just covering every inch of the car which didn't help at all as you can imagine. I think I'm going to do this in parts, so that it's easier on the wallet. Trunk and doors first, then floor.

On a side note, I did watch a video with this guy installing for a shop in Florida only put flat sheets of Secondskin liner (non self-adhering pad like stuff) and not a bit of the self-adhesive stuff only in the basins of the floor. Is that going to sound completely different than if I layer the whole floor or will it only be a dB or two difference? I'm assuming with my exhaust though it would probably make a significant change if I took out the seats and layered the whole floor and not just the basins. Just to clarify, I know there will be a difference. My question is to figure out if it is a large enough difference to justify the amount of money spent on either Secondskin or Dynamat materials.

Again thank you for taking your time to help a noob out. I just want to know all I can before I sink money into this.

Jerad

Semper Fi,

Jerad

Hello,

Thanks for your interest in Second Skin!

There is not one product that will work for every application, which is why you see so many products on our website. Typically 60% coverage of CLD will result in 90% reduction of vibration noise. But with the MLV barrier layer you would need 100% coverage to absorb and block airborne noise.

My suggestion is to follow this 2 step plan:
This is how it would work out for your 2007 Monte Carlo:

Step 1 - Interior vibration damping
Apply a layer of Damplifier or Damplifier Pro to the interior of the cars sheet metal (under the carpet, behind the upholstery, and most importantly, directly behind the noisy spots)
* Your vehicle can use 60-90 sq feet depending on how detailed you want to get. Our Spectrum liquid sound insulation will produce the same results when built up to 3MM. 1 gallon covers 40 sqft with 1MM.
* You can see these products by clicking here

Step 2- Interior Noise Barriers
Apply a layer of Luxury Liner Pro on top of the vibration mat to block stubborn airborne noise (this will make a tremendous difference with the goals you listed)
* You can use between 4 & 8 sheets + 1 can of adhesive for every 4 sheets you use

These 2 steps are the base foundation for the sound deadnening and thermal control. Both noise, and heat will be reduced by a very large margine!

If you want to take your install a step further, you can do this:

Step 3 – Exterior Vibration Coating
Treat the underside of the vehicles floor pan and wheel wells with a hefty layer of Spectrum or Sludge, our noise and vibration coatings. This will sandwich the floor with the interior damping mats and will yield amazing results.
* You can use 2 or 3 gallons to properly treat the underside of the floor and wheel wells

For the ceiling or under the hood install Damplifier Pro or Spectrum and then add Heat Wave Pro

For pannels that are rattling use OverKill or OverKill pro installed between them this will create a perfect cushion.

The 3 step plan is by far the best way to handle the issues you laid out in the email you sent us. Nothing else in the industry can touch this combination of products, but the first 2 steps is plenty, and will yeild amazing results!

Not only will your ride be made insanely quiet, it will also be insulated from extreme temperatures, and will feel more solid as you drive it.

Feel free to call me with any questions:
800-679-8511

I will be happy to set aside some time to discuss your project further.

Edited by Second Skin

Whether you are restoring a classic muscle car, building an audio system monster, or trying to give yourself a bit of silent luxury on your daily commute, we have a product or combination of products that will help you achieve your goals while saving money and save time. Look around our site, educate yourself and make the choice that is right for you.

Over built to over perform - because user error, bad batch, and faulty install are excuses that other companies use!

468x60.png

Also, we have a few similar sized cars in our SQFT help section that may offer package size help for you. This section is full of vehicle products used by previous customers and body shops to install Second Skin. Check it out here http://forum.secondskinaudio.com/index.php?app=garage&do=item_list

Good Luck with your project and feel free to contact us via phone, forum, or email for any further information.

Also our good friend Mark at CAF has a new video out which offers install suggestions along with a sweet CAF discount, check his video out here for the promo code

Edited by Second Skin

Whether you are restoring a classic muscle car, building an audio system monster, or trying to give yourself a bit of silent luxury on your daily commute, we have a product or combination of products that will help you achieve your goals while saving money and save time. Look around our site, educate yourself and make the choice that is right for you.

Over built to over perform - because user error, bad batch, and faulty install are excuses that other companies use!

468x60.png