Second Skin Audio

Box design for 2 XFL 12s

Currently have a Crescendo BC2000 powering 2 XFL 12s in a box 15in tall x 37in wide x 21.5in deep with a port 25.25in in length and 4.75in wide. I am trying to get the loudest I can on music with this setup. Wondering if a new box is going to get me there. The max dimensions being 15in tall x 36in wide x 30in deep. Thank you for any help its much appreciated

I am not an expert. Still a novice myself. I'm having fun building enclosures. Starting to understand ported/slot ported enclosures.

So, (internal) 13.5" tall x 35.5" wide x 20" deep. Internal overall dimensions yields 5.55 cf before the L shaped port is taken into account.

The L shape port running around the side of the enclosure to the back, with the L partition yields 0.988 cf displacement.

So 4.56 cf internal, .24 cf displacement for 2 subs. so 4.32 cf usable internal.

You're port area is 64 sq. in.

If there is a double baffle for the front, that will throw off the overall measurements.

American Bass has a SPL-212 recommendation of (external) 15" tall x 32" wide x 18" deep or internal dimensions yielding 3.93 cf before slotted port displacement.

Their port is 3" wide, 13" tall, 14" deep". 0.39 cf displacement for the slot port.

So 3.54 cf after slot displacement. After sub displacement 3.30 cf usable internal.

AB port area of there enclosure is 39 sq in.

http://www.americanbassusa.com/product.detail/product_id/202

So the only thing I am getting out of this equation is that you're probably tuned low based on the box as well as the long port.

AB wants a smaller enclosure by about 1 cf, plus 1/2 the length and smaller port area.

You can build their recommended enclosure as see what happens. It's probably tuned higher, mid 40's(?)- to be louder, but will probably sacrifice low- low frequency output.

I had a similar box for a pair of XD 1244's and these things were LOUD, but didn't drop so well. But they were LOUD.

Make sure this is what you want! Hard to really have both.......without a computer program...... just a graph sheet of paper and a calculator to work with.

Sorry for the long post.

-Frank

Archived