Some advice on electrical

get a volt meter before you buy anything else

I have more than one volt meter, what makes you assume I didn't have one?

you haven't posted what voltage you charge at, what you drop to, and at what voltage the amp protects

2002 Honda CR-V
Alpine 9887

My Build

Rebuilding...

Second Skin Damp
4 DC XL 15's
2 DC 5ks
Singer 320 amp
6 cap banks
Sky High wire
2 VM-1's
OM-1

all under window line

Team DC Audio

Obama has a law he's trying to pass right now, trying to ban Leo for being a threat to children everywhere.

EDIT: Not in a JP kind of way.

I thought I was going to die from all the jizz filling my ears.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know what these zapco amps are factory set to for going into protect on low volt.

I believe I charge at 14.3v, when you say charge at, this is just the general electrical system voltage while idle and driving around? Or would I measure directly on the alternator terminal?

The drop I saw up front was 13.5v, I still need to measure on the amp. I'll get these tonight if its not storming

Took some measurements when I got home, hooked dmm to zapco power inputs

13.71v car off

13.90v car on

set dmm to store lowest voltage on screen,

put on a known problem track and put vol max undistorted (Gold Dust - Flux Pavillion Remix - DJ Fresh)

13.27v

car off 13.75v

not really what I wanted to see, 13.27 is hardly a voltage for a low volt cutoff for an amp. at least a low voltage situation is easy to fix.

fwiw I set my gains on the sub amp @-5.2db overlap I think this should be pretty safe, maybe not, or maybe my amp is just old and fucked up :|

Did it cut off when it was measured at 13.27v? You didn't say...

you said it cut out when you rolled the windows down in the OP. Window motors pull a lot of current. Just turn it down when you roll them up or down and you won't have that issue again

Low voltage protection on just about any amp isn't going to be above ~11V.

Plus you said that you're usually fine.... but all of a sudden the amp starts cutting out? An electrical system upgrade should not be where your head's at. Something's up.

And way for other SMDers to tell him to just start buying alts and batts.... <_<

smd-banner_zpsu2ojqise.png

howd you set the amps gain?

2002 Honda CR-V
Alpine 9887

My Build

Rebuilding...

Second Skin Damp
4 DC XL 15's
2 DC 5ks
Singer 320 amp
6 cap banks
Sky High wire
2 VM-1's
OM-1

all under window line

Team DC Audio

Obama has a law he's trying to pass right now, trying to ban Leo for being a threat to children everywhere.

EDIT: Not in a JP kind of way.

I thought I was going to die from all the jizz filling my ears.

When it doesn't happen until he applies extra load (a load that is large on every vehicle with automatic windows), yes, electrical is more than likely the culprit.

When it doesn't happen until he applies extra load (a load that is large on every vehicle with automatic windows), yes, electrical is more than likely the culprit.

Because he has never rolled down the windows before?! I'm saying there's obviously a problem here and not just "his electrical system isn't up to the task. He should upgrade."

smd-banner_zpsu2ojqise.png

Could be impedance... :unknw:

low volt on most amps is like 9v or some shit...... and its measured on the turn on, not the large gauge incoming.

if your low protecting your amp, id expect a bat light, alt light, hell, the entire dash may light up with odd shit ABS, seat belt shit, kinda like when you just insert your key..

but, im not there. :unknw:

Archived