Some advice on electrical

Then what's the answer since you know it is not?

i dont know boss,.... i dont know its not...

id put the meter on the amp, running MIN MAX and duplicate what throws it into protect.

If voltage is "ok" i would move forward.

Thats all...

EDIT- id suspect the amp has 2 or 3 protect modes.. maybe the 4

but, low volt, thermal, and impedance id expect... (maybe high volt .. but i dont know)

SOOooooo, i would start narrowing/trouble shooting it down...

low, and high volt protect will be done with one simple test... then, id look at impedance.,... unless its protecting thermal, then, your palm usually knows that.. :)

Just because his voltage didn't dip low enough doesn't mean he didn't run out of amperage. Low impedance rise on the note that was playing, impedance goes down current goes up, window pulls current, more than stock alt and the 4 kinetics can support, something isn't going to be powered and it's going to start with what's requiring the most current

Sorry kyle. Not directing it towards anyone, just saying that when there's more demand than supply, something's taking a loss. And I don't rely too wholeheartedly on a stock alt producing what the sticker on it says it will

First off, thanks for all the replies/help, I'm going to try to address them all.

Ok, I'm not running out and buying anything yet, I'm taking suggestions and thinking out loud as I try to figure this out.

the other day with the window was a different track, and it was a different circumstance than tonight.

what I played tonight is always a problem, so I used it to test.

When the amp cut out, the min voltage reported was: 13.27v

My subs are 1ohm DVC subs, I have them wired to show a 4ohm load. My amp is a 4ohm mono stable

I'm not ruling out multiple problems, and if the window voltage drop was my only problem I wouldn't really consider it too much of an issue. Just trying to put my finger on this.

Trying to get info from zapco has been difficult. I'm not sure at what point the amp is set to low volt protect. I was guessing it was around 12.x something or in the 11 range, pure speculation. 13.27 is not low at all IMO

I was trying to be conservative, even with that the voltage was still higher before it was cutting out.

I have no experience measuring impedance on an in use sound system. How can I rule this out, I know the impedance shifts while playing

that's a lot of work for one 170a alt - you need a more powerful charging system to keep all those batts charged

1984 Mercedes-Benz 300D (5-speed)

Alpine Type-S Mids/Highs; Fli Audio Tweeters

Alpine CDE-143BT Bluetooth CD/USB/iPhone Headunit

Alpine MRP-F300.4

Audiopipe 1500.1 mono

Sundown Audio SA-15d2 (5.2 cu ft. ported box, tuned @ 35 hz)

Kintetik HC-1800 Watt Power Cell Battery

[KnuKonceptz 1 ga. Power Wiring

USACI outlaw - 143.9 db

Archived