Second Skin Audio

Beginner 4th Order Design

Tralme98

The reason that I am making this forum post is to check my thinking with the pros so I do not waste any of my budget in building a bad box.

Setup: 01 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS , (2) RF Punch P3 15 D2 , (2) Pioneer GM-9601 , In a trunk 4th order (hopefully)

I used WinISD to get these numbers and I wanted a flat freq response rate from the box , so to achieve this I tuned both chambers to 30hz (Is this a bad thing to do?) The first front facing chamber is ported @ 6.43 cubes and the rear sealed chamber (subs mounted into this chamber) @ 11.7 cubes.

Does all this seem Ok or do I really need some major help? :unknw: Thanks!

Cabin gain is going to change the frequency response, a lot. You are tuned really low for a band pass box. Around 45 Hz would be more appropriate.

That box is going to be huge.

Out of curiosity, how many other boxes have you built?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Not many just a entry level ported box and a couple sealed but nothing like this. thanks for the tuning recommendation. Am I right to tune both chambers to the same freq. ?

Technically the "right" way to design a fourth order bandpass is to tune the front chamber to the resonant frequency of the rear chamber. This should result in the flattest frequency response. The problem is that is for a flat response in half-space, ie. with the box out in the middle of a field. Once you put that box in your car cabin gain is going to boost the low end output, significantly. For this reason you don't have to tune to front to match the rear chamber. Its more important to tune to what will give you the frequency response you want.

I played around with some P3-15's in WinISD. Those subs should do pretty well in a 4th order BP box, a lot better than other subs I've seen people try to use like that. My suggestion for box specs would be 4 cubes rear chamber, 6 cubes front tuned to 43 Hz.

When you design the box two things I strongly recommend you do are:

1. Make sure you have enough port area!

2. Make your port removeable or otherwise adjustable so you can adjust the port area and especially the tuning once you get the box playing and in the vehicle.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived