Second Skin Audio

T line design?

d-REW

First of all I'm glad you all listen to frequencies above 80 hz where you have all of your real movement on your modeling software...graph

If 1/3rd down the line places the sub at the bend like your drawing you think that will have less of a negative effect than at the beginning of the line? Really? Subwoofer cones form to the object behind the magnet in higher pressure applications where the cone becomes stressed. So by placing half of the sub on the shelf 6" behind the sub and the other side of the sub is supported by something 13" behind the sub the cone will move uniformly, if the sub has a thought gap, it will create a intermittent short, from coil rub

But I'll let you build the boxes the way you would like I don't know anything about tlines....

SCSB

Santa Cruz Speaker Box

Build logs:

Daily Driver Lemon Marquis

2 american bass 750.1s

350.4 on 14 focal 6.5s

sq 945 on 4 hertz tweeters

Mystery subs peepwall.gif

http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

The Mustang 'dubbed' Shirley the project from bullet holes to badass

http://www.stevemead...cond-skin-time/

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Upon further review of your graph I feel dumber responding....

Are you serious look from 10hz to 100hz where subwoofers play which has a smoother louder graph with less roll off

CLEARLY the one where the sub is placed closest to the hole! If you can't see that I don't even want to read your lameass response.....

SCSB

Santa Cruz Speaker Box

Build logs:

2 american bass 750.1s

350.4 on 14 focal 6.5s

In fact the closed in reaches 90 do and stays within a db

The one that the sub is Halfway down the line barely reaches 87db and drops of much more quickly

Not to mention that their "model" tline doesn't not have the sub at the bend in the line I guarantee that....

SCSB

Santa Cruz Speaker Box

Build logs:

2 american bass 750.1s

350.4 on 14 focal 6.5s

Are you serious look from 10hz to 100hz where subwoofers play which has a smoother louder graph with less roll off

CLEARLY the one where the sub is placed closest to the hole! If you can't see that I don't even want to read your lameass response.....

Look I think you and I are coming at this from different perspectives.

Its a 400 watt SQ oriented sub. I designed a more SQ oriented T-line. Yeah it does give up about 2 db of efficiency vs having the sub at the closed end, but do you think you are ever going to hear that difference with your ears?

Depending on the where you crossover to the sub and what the slope of the crossover is that giant spike at 110 hz could definitely be audible, so why not move it up to where is won't be? Its not like crossovers are brickwalls that nothing above them shall pass.

If you look at my design the divider extends all the way past where the driver mounting hole ends by over an 1", so your argument about cone stress is irrelevant, also its not like we are going to be putting 2k watts to this sub anyway.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

this has been an informative and fun read.. lol.. I'll be downloading that program you use to see how I like it... you can't beat free

2014 Ford Focus SE Sedan

Factory Sony 10 Speaker Sound System

1994 Ford Bronco

Dual head unit (i kno)

Sony door speakers

Kenwood Rear Speakers

Custom Center console in the works. will house an NVX NSW10"

https://m.facebook.com/WinnsCustomCarAudio/

^ Do you mind posting input parameters for that?

No prob:

04dBADm.jpg

Thats for the offset driver version, if you change the Driver Arrangement to Normal that will give you the "sub at closed end" version.

Thanks. Modeled in some inductance of your own was the main difference.

It's funny how people assume things and jump to name calling. I've seen you post in other threads triticum, you seem like a really smart guy with a good bit of experience. I was actually going to ask what cortez stated about the flatter second graph being about 2 db quieter, got my answer from your response already though. Thanks for sharing!

And if I'm remembering correctly, you're in FL? Go to any shows or meets around the Tampa area?

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

It's funny how people assume things and jump to name calling. I've seen you post in other threads triticum, you seem like a really smart guy with a good bit of experience. I was actually going to ask what cortez stated about the flatter second graph being about 2 db quieter, got my answer from your response already though. Thanks for sharing!

And if I'm remembering correctly, you're in FL? Go to any shows or meets around the Tampa area?

No man, I'm in Washington, bit of a drive from Florida.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

No man, I'm in Washington, bit of a drive from Florida.

Sorry, must've been somebody else haha

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

Look I think you and I are coming at this from different perspectives.

Its a 400 watt SQ oriented sub. I designed a more SQ oriented T-line. Yeah it does give up about 2 db of efficiency vs having the sub at the closed end, but do you think you are ever going to hear that difference with your ears?

Depending on the where you crossover to the sub and what the slope of the crossover is that giant spike at 110 hz could definitely be audible, so why not move it up to where is won't be? Its not like crossovers are brickwalls that nothing above them shall pass.

If you look at my design the divider extends all the way past where the driver mounting hole ends by over an 1", so your argument about cone stress is irrelevant, also its not like we are going to be putting 2k watts to this sub anyway.

I have never worried about frequencies above the LPF like that, moving the craziness away from the crossover point makes a lot of sense. It's cool of you to share your knowledge with all of us!

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Archived