Mechman Alternators

How to determine what size alt?

Bigger isn't always better when it comes to Alts.

I'd rather have a smaller alt that does more at idle than a bigger alt that does less at idle but more at 2k Rpms.

Wurd... for a diesel, that rarely if ever sees even around 2k rpm, .... id dig on that 300 rev turn on, and full out put at 1k.......

again, just me...

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

Still comes down to wallet, you are going to pay for that idle output.

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

So why would 250A @ 800rpm from the 370 be a bad choice for the diesel?

It's not.

The elite series is the way to go whether it be the 250 or 370.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

So why would 250A @ 800rpm from the 370 be a bad choice for the diesel?

It's not.

The elite series is the way to go whether it be the 250 or 370.

agree...

i would just do the 250... just me...

(you will rarely see the full output of the 370, so, why even put it in, i guess is my point, to bad there wasnt like a 310 version or something.... also, i would prefer the lower turn on speed on the 250 for a diesel.... the lower, the better,.. fuckers idle at like 4rpm... trust me, at a light, or stop sign, it will matter. He is only running 1k or so,... even for future up grades, you will see the full output of the 370, like never in that platform. The total output, is basically useless at those revs....... lower turn on, higher RPM is what I WOULD look at, on a oil burner.... again, just me. )

The 250 has a larger pulley which means you can run your car at a much higher rpm. Or you can change the pulley to the 370 and it will do even better at idle. At 500rpm the 370 is actually spinning much faster than the 250 which also reduces it's life expectancy

There are many reasons that makes the 250 better overall. It heats up less helping in the life expectancy. It is a tank on idle output. The 370 will run hotter under load and could effect idle output. Also heats shortens it's life. The 370 has smaller pulley making it spin more

than the 250 which cam wear out bearing and other international components much faster.. The 250 can be used in high performance engines since the larger pulley helps with the alternator rpm. Overall the 250 is the better Joice. More is not always better. I have ran 4 350+ amp alternators from different company

Edited by Miguels
  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

Cool. Good to know. I ask because I don't know. Especially about diesel. That's rocket science for me.

There are many reasons that makes the 250 better overall. It heats up less helping in the life expectancy. It is a tank on idle output. The 370 will run hotter under load and could effect idle output. Also heats shortens it's life. The 370 has larger pulley making it spin more

than the 250 which cam wear out bearing and other international components much faster.. The 250 can be used in high performance engines since the larger pulley helps with the alternator rpm. Overall the 250 is the better Joice. More is not always better. I have ran 4 350+ amp alternators from different company

smaller pulley or spin less

please correct ;)

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

Corrected. The 370 has smaller pulley which spins the alternator more. The 370 is still an awesome alternator but overall the 250 is better. The only thing the 370 does better is higher amperage at higher rpm.