"Gaming" Laptop recommendations. $2,000 budget.

As the title says, I am looking for a more powerful laptop to buy for my International travels. I work out of country and would like to start gaming.

I also do some music/video editing, and simple work stuff.

$2,000ish budget, can go up if needed.

Any more information needed please just ask.

TEAM SOUTH Bassahaulic Productions

The ONLY Bright Atlantic Blue DiamondBoxx L

Drew Jones
Bassahaulic Productions

4 SSA ZCON 15"s
2 Sundown SCV-6000's
6 AGM G31's

161.6 @ 40Hz Outlaw
159.8 @ 36Hz Legal

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Look into ASUS, their g751 series are 17" if you want to go big but they also have a 15" series.

For $2000 I would recommend the g751JT. It's about $1700 and has the second most powerful mobile video card (gtx970m), 16 GB of ram, 1080p screen, 256 GB SSD & a 1 TB disk drive. The ssd is for your operating system so it runs super fast and the 1tb is for games/storage. I have the g751JL which is one tier down and it is still fantastic. The highest tier one is a full 2300 dollars.

Just want to throw this out there, a gaming laptop is really not ideal. They get EXTREMELY hot, mine now I cannot even play games because it gets so hot. It could use a simple cleaning, but there is nothing simple about dissambling and reassambling a laptop. I had bought a HP when I was in college, was around 1500 retail but with coupon codes I found through google searches, got it down to 900. Was a nice laptop, but after a while things started to get HOT. I don't really pay much attention to laptops anymore so basically I just want to emphasize again, focus on something with good cooling.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

The asus I suggested has huge cooling vents that exchange all the heat out of the back. You can see them in images and the computer does stay quite cool. You can check reviews online and will see the same results.

I would check these guys out:

http://www.xoticpc.com/custom-gaming-laptops-notebooks-gaming-laptops-ct-118_96_98.html

I bought a Sager laptop from them a while back and was really happy with my purchase. Sager puts out the most hardware for the money. I'd definitely get one again.

For true mobile, you will probably want to look at MSI laptops though, since they are a little more on the light weight side.

Decided to go with Sager. They look like they have AWESOME bang/buck. And look good in general.

If it's a little heavier that's fine, I'm 6'3" 270Lbs. If I can't carry a laptop that's 4Lbs heavier than I need to just stay home. lol

Drew Jones
Bassahaulic Productions

4 SSA ZCON 15"s
2 Sundown SCV-6000's
6 AGM G31's

161.6 @ 40Hz Outlaw
159.8 @ 36Hz Legal

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

What did u go with? A few years back I got a np 8750? Something in there. But I put a pro gpu for my auto cad. Love the computer but tech support and drivers are mehh. Had troubles since day one with a few of the drivers and still do. They also can't find my exact model for some reason. So I had to choose one similar. Only thing I've found I don't like besides the non existent battery life which I'm fine with and the weight of the PSU/charger. I need to contact them and see if it got any better and see if I can get it all worked out. But overall it's a blazing fast computer. Wish I would've put a SSD in it tho.

Hope u enjoy it.

My SPL to SQ Build Log

Vehicle:
1997 Dodge Dakota Ext Cab 4x4 2009 Dodge Journey SXT
5.2L V8 Magnum 3.5L V6
Stock Alt

Equipment:

Headunit- Alpine CDE-147BT

Mids/Highs Amp- JL Audio G6600 Class AB 6 Channel

Sub Amp- Hifonics BRZ1700.1D @ 2 Ohms Taramps DSP3000.1D

Sub- Hertz Hi Energy 12" HX300D SounDrive SDA3 12

Tweeters- Rockford Fosgate Power Series Silk Domes Hertz Hi-Energy

Mids- Dayton Audio Reference 4" Full Range Drivers 

Midbass- Silver Flute 6.5" Hertz Hi-Energy 6.5"

Processor- MiniDSP 2x4

RCA- 6 channels of SounDrive HF series

Wire- EB Flex 2/0

-Member of Team SounDrive

What did u go with? A few years back I got a np 8750? Something in there. But I put a pro gpu for my auto cad. Love the computer but tech support and drivers are mehh. Had troubles since day one with a few of the drivers and still do. They also can't find my exact model for some reason. So I had to choose one similar. Only thing I've found I don't like besides the non existent battery life which I'm fine with and the weight of the PSU/charger. I need to contact them and see if it got any better and see if I can get it all worked out. But overall it's a blazing fast computer. Wish I would've put a SSD in it tho.

Hope u enjoy it.

Yeah, I did have some issues finding the right drivers... but overall, laptop hardware drivers are very scarce in general. I bought my Sager as a desktop replacement back when the HD7970M was pretty much the premium GPU. It was awesome, exceeded all of my expectations. I got it to have a mobile desktop that I would be using at buddies houses and sometimes at work. It was really heavy and it had a HUGE power block. It really just depends on how mobile you want it... If you want a true laptop that can chill on your lap while you use it, you definitely don't want something with a really powerful mobile GPU cause it will burn your legs after a few minutes of gaming.

Alienware/Dell is probably going to have the most focus on drivers. They do that Nvidia Optimus that allows you to deactivate the dedicated GPU and use the integrated GPU on the Intel processor, cuts power usage in half sometimes more. There is an AMD equivalent to that too. I've had a few gaming laptops and drivers are always way behind... They seem to put out updates much less compared to a desktop. The one thing I loved about my Sager was how modular it was... Upgrading parts in my last laptop was very easy.

This one with a few options. Ended up like $2,200ish...

http://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP8672-S.html

Drew Jones
Bassahaulic Productions

4 SSA ZCON 15"s
2 Sundown SCV-6000's
6 AGM G31's

161.6 @ 40Hz Outlaw
159.8 @ 36Hz Legal

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Archived