Second Skin Audio

Sub Position and Direction Questionn

Landau Lang

Hi guys,

I'm kinda a noob to the technicalities behind car audio... I am only 23 so I have set-up just a handful of vehicles in the past and have never really tried to "perfect" a system.

Now I am in process of setting up a 1978 Camaro I recently restored. If you are familiar with the F-body's trunk space is not something we have a lot of....

Just for reference points, here is the equipment I currently own.

Kicker: DX1000.1 amp, DX400.4 amp, DX125.2 amp ...... 1 x 15 inch L7 SoloBaric 2 Ohm Sub, 1 pair x KS60 6in speakers, 2 pair x KS693 6x9's, 1 pair x Polk D1001 1in Tweeters so I am trying to pack quite a punch in this little coupe.

Now after measuring about 4000 times and thinking of everything I can. I think the most optimal position to fit the 15 in would be to have it facing the truck lid, only being about an inch to 1.5 inches away from it. My fear is that regardless of how well I sound dampen, dynamat etc, that bitch will be rattling its ass off. Which I guess isnt the biggest deal because its not like ill hear the trunk lid while im driving really. BUT i am thinking wont it sound a little better if I have the sub facing the rear seats to push the sound "in" the car.

I also had been thinking i wanted to do a box without a port, even though I am a hip hop fan I like my tunes with a little more "tight" bass punches vs rolling bass. However I was thinking if I build the box with the sub facing up toward the trunk lid, I could port it in the back in the direction of the rear seat.

The pros of having the sub face up, would be more vertical depth to the box (the alternative box that faces the inside of the car would have more surface area but be triangular shaped and probably will not have as much cubic volume) I also think from an aesthetic standpoint the box with the sub facing the lid would look better. I'm just wondering is 1.5 inches from the lid too close to it? and how much will I hear the difference between the direction it fires? Port or no port? if I do port what is your suggestions on setting that up?

Thanks guys.

Archived