Home audio station

I looked at the picture you posted on photobucket. So between the tweeters, smaller mids, 10" mids, 12" mids, and the sub you have something resembling a 5-way system. You are going to have a hell of a time making the frequencies you want go to the speakers you want with that system.

To get good sound all you need is a three way system, either a regular 3-way with tweeters, mids, & woofers, or a 2-way with tweeters & mids with a separate sub. The second option sounds like more what you want to do with a separate sub. I know you already have equipment you want to use for this, but just throwing gear together rarely results is something that is pleasing to the ears. If you want this thing to sound decent I would strongly suggest you spend a few bucks (it doesn't take much) and build one of the many good 2-way designs for your tweeters & mids. I can suggest some if you would like. From there you can figure out a way to integrate the sub. A miniDSP would be one really awesome way to do it.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

We own quite a few of the xls series amps, wile we abuse the shit out of ours every day, ive only had about 4 with issues over a period of time that couldn't be fixed easily (we now have close to 50 although they don't all get used anymore as we upgraded) so they are definatly reliable amps, I would definaly say they arent the nicest sounding by any means which is the reason we have been changing them out for other amps as we go.

for the price they are very well built and it wont give you any issues no matter what you throw at it, but it also sounds cheap especially in an home audio situation.

Like others have mentioned I would suggest going with home audio amps/receivers. If you really want to stick with pa amps, then use pa amps all around.

PSN: Rcp_soundz

Good rule of thump is go by what fuse size is being used in these amps. The higher the more amperage it pulls, this is what I look at.

I'll stick a 300 amp fuse in a potato and sell it to you for $2k.

1991 Mazda 323VERY small build thread here: http://www.stevemead...23-small-build/

I looked at the picture you posted on photobucket. So between the tweeters, smaller mids, 10" mids, 12" mids, and the sub you have something resembling a 5-way system. You are going to have a hell of a time making the frequencies you want go to the speakers you want with that system.

To get good sound all you need is a three way system, either a regular 3-way with tweeters, mids, & woofers, or a 2-way with tweeters & mids with a separate sub. The second option sounds like more what you want to do with a separate sub. I know you already have equipment you want to use for this, but just throwing gear together rarely results is something that is pleasing to the ears. If you want this thing to sound decent I would strongly suggest you spend a few bucks (it doesn't take much) and build one of the many good 2-way designs for your tweeters & mids. I can suggest some if you would like. From there you can figure out a way to integrate the sub. A miniDSP would be one really awesome way to do it.

Thanks for the input. Im open to all suggestion and advice so thanks.

I don't have my heart set on using the equipment i already have, Buying more is not a problem. Just want something to rock the house, with good sound quality.

So if i do a 2-way system with just a tweeter and a mid, could i add multiple mids of the same size and maybe another of the same tweeter? Would it still be classified as a 2-way because its the same mids used and same tweeters not different sizes?

Im not saying im just wanting to cram speakers in my desk/station/whatever it is, but i definitely want to use up the available space have.

And yes i would love to hear your recommendations.

thanks again, mike

We own quite a few of the xls series amps, wile we abuse the shit out of ours every day, ive only had about 4 with issues over a period of time that couldn't be fixed easily (we now have close to 50 although they don't all get used anymore as we upgraded) so they are definatly reliable amps, I would definaly say they arent the nicest sounding by any means which is the reason we have been changing them out for other amps as we go.

for the price they are very well built and it wont give you any issues no matter what you throw at it, but it also sounds cheap especially in an home audio situation.

Like others have mentioned I would suggest going with home audio amps/receivers. If you really want to stick with pa amps, then use pa amps all around.

Thanks for the advice will keep it in mind.

Get as many drivers as you want, so long as they are the same. Tweets, mids, and subs is always a pretty safe option.

I think you will be blown away by how loud just a few good drivers can get though. A pair of bookshelf speakers can get painfully loud on next to no power.

I don't have my heart set on using the equipment i already have, Buying more is not a problem. Just want something to rock the house, with good sound quality.

So if i do a 2-way system with just a tweeter and a mid, could i add multiple mids of the same size and maybe another of the same tweeter? Would it still be classified as a 2-way because its the same mids used and same tweeters not different sizes?

Im not saying im just wanting to cram speakers in my desk/station/whatever it is, but i definitely want to use up the available space have.

thanks again, mike

So what limits how much output you can get out of a multi-way speaker (2-way, 3-way, etc) is almost always the midbass. Making high frequency sound takes very little power, most tweeters can go WAY louder than you would think. Because of this, having more than one tweeter really don't accomplish anything and if you do use more than one you will get comb filtering, which is not desireable. This is why you won't see more than one tweeter on pretty much any home audio speaker, line arrays being the exception.

Since midbass is generally the limitation, having more than one of them definitely is beneficial. Sounds you might want a MTM or TMM setup, these have one tweeter and two midbass drivers, either with the tweeter between them (MTM) or above them (TMM). There are lots of designs out there to pick from, here are some that I know perform well.

Using 5" midbass drivers:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/2.5-way-speaker-kits/zaph%7Caudio-za5.3t-tmm-tower-pair/

http://meniscusaudio.com/swope-each-p-1305.html

Using 6" midbass drivers:

http://meniscusaudio.com/blues-bare-bones-each-p-1429.html

https://www.parts-express.com/project-gallery-speaker-project-the-d-iii

Using 8" midbass drivers:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-speakers/18814-budget-8-dayton-classic-mtm-rocks.html

If any of those interest you just let me know and I can give you more info. Some of those designs use ported cabinets, since you are using a sub you could change them to sealed and make the enclosures significantly smaller.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Get as many drivers as you want, so long as they are the same. Tweets, mids, and subs is always a pretty safe option.

I think you will be blown away by how loud just a few good drivers can get though. A pair of bookshelf speakers can get painfully loud on next to no power.

haha thanks. for my computer i have a set of bookshelf speakers and they get decently loud. Just not as loud as i want :P

thanks again, mike

So what limits how much output you can get out of a multi-way speaker (2-way, 3-way, etc) is almost always the midbass. Making high frequency sound takes very little power, most tweeters can go WAY louder than you would think. Because of this, having more than one tweeter really don't accomplish anything and if you do use more than one you will get comb filtering, which is not desireable. This is why you won't see more than one tweeter on pretty much any home audio speaker, line arrays being the exception.

Since midbass is generally the limitation, having more than one of them definitely is beneficial. Sounds you might want a MTM or TMM setup, these have one tweeter and two midbass drivers, either with the tweeter between them (MTM) or above them (TMM). There are lots of designs out there to pick from, here are some that I know perform well.

Using 5" midbass drivers:

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/2.5-way-speaker-kits/zaph%7Caudio-za5.3t-tmm-tower-pair/

http://meniscusaudio.com/swope-each-p-1305.html

Using 6" midbass drivers:

http://meniscusaudio.com/blues-bare-bones-each-p-1429.html

https://www.parts-express.com/project-gallery-speaker-project-the-d-iii

Using 8" midbass drivers:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-speakers/18814-budget-8-dayton-classic-mtm-rocks.html

If any of those interest you just let me know and I can give you more info. Some of those designs use ported cabinets, since you are using a sub you could change them to sealed and make the enclosures significantly smaller.

makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the recommendations. The only this is i don't really want separate towers i want to try to e able to make it all one piece kinda like a desk.

So now that im on the same page as you with the 2-way and stuff, would it work if the picture design i showed you from photobucket work if i used the same size midbass drivers? per say, one tweeter on each side two mids on each side (make a TMM like you said) but in the middle part under the receiver shelf put two more of the same size mids?

That would make it an even 4 speakers per channel if i decided to do a 2 channel amp. (which i have not decided on...)

What do you think, any input?

PA amps are cool, they aren't designed for the everyday home user though so make sure you know what you are getting. Fans are definitely a consideration for me.

would not be used everyday just casual music listening.

and i do not know where to begin with on how to set up a Pa amp.

Could anyone give me direction?

Just posted these in another thread in this forum but here goes again

PA amps are cool, they aren't designed for the everyday home user though so make sure you know what you are getting. Fans are definitely a consideration for me.

would not be used everyday just casual music listening.

and i do not know where to begin with on how to set up a Pa amp.

Could anyone give me direction?

Just posted these in another thread in this forum but here goes again

Thanks for the little bit of direction.

So if i was using the crown xls1500 for instance to power my mids and highs, and wanted to use a separate plate amplifier to power my subwoofer (mainly just easy to take the sub out and use it for a different application, like PC, or TV, and what not) how would i hook all this up together? Would i need a middleman (like a receiver) to make them all work and to be able to have an aux cable? This is mainly what i need help with now.

Archived