Home audio station

Yep, you're going to need a receiver to tie it all together. You may also consider an amp with DSP or an add'l processor.

alright that makes sense.

Do you have any DSP's or processors you can recommend?

Thanks for all your help guys!

makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the recommendations. The only this is i don't really want separate towers i want to try to e able to make it all one piece kinda like a desk.

So now that im on the same page as you with the 2-way and stuff, would it work if the picture design i showed you from photobucket work if i used the same size midbass drivers? per say, one tweeter on each side two mids on each side (make a TMM like you said) but in the middle part under the receiver shelf put two more of the same size mids?

That would make it an even 4 speakers per channel if i decided to do a 2 channel amp. (which i have not decided on...)

What do you think, any input?

You can just take the electrical components out of any of those designs I listed and put them into whatever cabinet you want. You will want to keep the internal volumes the same as in the original designs, but the form factor can pretty much be whatever you please (within reason). I can help you adapt any of those designs if you want.

Adding midbass drivers to an existing design isn't going to work out though. The crossovers that are designed to sent the high frequencies to the tweeters and the lower frequencies to the mids will only work with the type and number of mids they are designed for. You can't change any of that stuff without really messing up how they will sound.

Thanks for the little bit of direction.

So if i was using the crown xls1500 for instance to power my mids and highs, and wanted to use a separate plate amplifier to power my subwoofer (mainly just easy to take the sub out and use it for a different application, like PC, or TV, and what not) how would i hook all this up together? Would i need a middleman (like a receiver) to make them all work and to be able to have an aux cable? This is mainly what i need help with now.

The problem with using a regular receiver to do this is most do not have signal level outputs to run into an external amp for the mains, they just have signal output for the sub. You could use a miniDSP to make everything play nice together, though figuring out a way to get different inputs to it will be the trick. Most AV receivers will probably put out enough power than you won't need an external amp for the mains, just for the sub. Though it depends on just how loud you want to go.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the recommendations. The only this is i don't really want separate towers i want to try to e able to make it all one piece kinda like a desk.

So now that im on the same page as you with the 2-way and stuff, would it work if the picture design i showed you from photobucket work if i used the same size midbass drivers? per say, one tweeter on each side two mids on each side (make a TMM like you said) but in the middle part under the receiver shelf put two more of the same size mids?

That would make it an even 4 speakers per channel if i decided to do a 2 channel amp. (which i have not decided on...)

What do you think, any input?

You can just take the electrical components out of any of those designs I listed and put them into whatever cabinet you want. You will want to keep the internal volumes the same as in the original designs, but the form factor can pretty much be whatever you please (within reason). I can help you adapt any of those designs if you want.

Adding midbass drivers to an existing design isn't going to work out though. The crossovers that are designed to sent the high frequencies to the tweeters and the lower frequencies to the mids will only work with the type and number of mids they are designed for. You can't change any of that stuff without really messing up how they will sound.

Thanks for the little bit of direction.

So if i was using the crown xls1500 for instance to power my mids and highs, and wanted to use a separate plate amplifier to power my subwoofer (mainly just easy to take the sub out and use it for a different application, like PC, or TV, and what not) how would i hook all this up together? Would i need a middleman (like a receiver) to make them all work and to be able to have an aux cable? This is mainly what i need help with now.

The problem with using a regular receiver to do this is most do not have signal level outputs to run into an external amp for the mains, they just have signal output for the sub. You could use a miniDSP to make everything play nice together, though figuring out a way to get different inputs to it will be the trick. Most AV receivers will probably put out enough power than you won't need an external amp for the mains, just for the sub. Though it depends on just how loud you want to go.

Soaking in everything you said. All valid points.

The only other option i had in mind rather than a receiver to hook a external amp and subwoofer amp would be a cheap mixing board to bring it all together..

I'm not too familiar with any home audio so thank you for being patient.

And i did want to have the option to be really loud but sound quality is also a big part.

(Car audio made me power hungry :yahoo: LOL)

If i went back to a reciever option cutting the PA out of the picture, i would definitely have to find something that makes decent power. just don't know how it would work being a 5 channel and all..

thanks again

I wouldn't underestimate just how loud some of these 2-way designs can go and still sound good. Any of the 6" mid-bass designs will probably go louder than you'd ever want to go and I can pretty much promise that 8" design (the Dayton 8") will.

If you decide to go with a receiver you don't have to get a 5 channel one, just a 2 channel with sub output is all you need, here is an example: http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-R-S700BL-Natural-Stereo-Receiver/dp/B0044779G8/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1440715595&sr=1-1&refinements=p_n_feature_two_browse-bin%3A1267493011

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I wouldn't underestimate just how loud some of these 2-way designs can go and still sound good. Any of the 6" mid-bass designs will probably go louder than you'd ever want to go and I can pretty much promise that 8" design (the Dayton 8") will.

If you decide to go with a receiver you don't have to get a 5 channel one, just a 2 channel with sub output is all you need, here is an example: http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-R-S700BL-Natural-Stereo-Receiver/dp/B0044779G8/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1440715595&sr=1-1&refinements=p_n_feature_two_browse-bin%3A1267493011

That is true. i may end up doing a receiver. thanks for your help.

Receivers defiantly get loud. Just double check what impedance they like. My old one didn't care if you short circuited it lol but the new one doesn't like anything under 6 ohms. But my towers are 8 so it didn't bother me but it has limited my upgrade options

PSN: Rcp_soundz

Good rule of thump is go by what fuse size is being used in these amps. The higher the more amperage it pulls, this is what I look at.

I'll stick a 300 amp fuse in a potato and sell it to you for $2k.

1991 Mazda 323VERY small build thread here: http://www.stevemead...23-small-build/

Archived