Mechman Alternators

long story short, 400A HOT alternators are not possible in a standard casing. well they are possible but dont last. I have had one on the bench for 27 minutes before the rectifier got too hot and diodes started to pop. if you get a water cooled rectifier or maybe a copper rectifier with same design as the aluminium you might stand a chance. but then the regualtor is going to start to get hot. but at that point, why would you try it to have it fail at some point down the road. that amount of current is just too much for even the dr44 casing.

if you have a gm car or even a ford truck,m look into running a dual triple or quad alt setup. if you have another car, look into bracket options or removing ac.

a 370 is good for freeway cruising, but if you plan on playing at idle or even around the city go with a 250A HOT unit aka 270 cold which most reputable companies offer.

if you don't mind revving to 2k rpm + then a 370 will yield more power for you. but on hot days city driving red light to red light and such thier idle can be minimal to non existent. also if your car has a red line above 6k rpm and you actually drive it there, be careful becuase a lot fo these companies throw on super small pulleys to get them spinning faster. this also poses a problem because new smaller belts must be used, and if the belt wrap isnt good then you are prone to hearing belt squeel.

it sounds like you like the technical aspect so id look into multiple 370s or 270s depending on the points i mentioned earlier

werd...

there is pro's and con's of all. There is a reason Mike put 4 270's on Kevins quad set up. Derek had some 400 rated pigs, that didnt make it through the first show. He has went back to the 370. Im picking up what your putting down man ;)

you have a pretty optimal setup with a 270 and 370. best of both worlds. got a great power curve going

• Like (+1 Rep) 2

Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemead...5015-bump4life/
MB C220 153 Trunk Car Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d/#entry1840136
MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/
My SPL Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

BMW M340 xDrive

Stock, for now. Corner Load 10" maybe soon. But does 10s in the 1/4...
Best Scores out of a trunk
153.0 sealed legal full tilt clamped 5524 @ 42 hz
154+ windows down, 155+ kick

Mechman went with 250a as well

Don't get me wrong those 370a units are beast plus some. I love mine and how it performs. Going with the 250a would have given me an option for a high performance cam. My car sees 5500rpm almost on a daily basis. My limiter is set there but it would be much more fun at 6500rpm

long story short, 400A HOT alternators are not possible in a standard casing. well they are possible but dont last. I have had one on the bench for 27 minutes before the rectifier got too hot and diodes started to pop. if you get a water cooled rectifier or maybe a copper rectifier with same design as the aluminium you might stand a chance. but then the regualtor is going to start to get hot. but at that point, why would you try it to have it fail at some point down the road. that amount of current is just too much for even the dr44 casing.

if you have a gm car or even a ford truck,m look into running a dual triple or quad alt setup. if you have another car, look into bracket options or removing ac.

a 370 is good for freeway cruising, but if you plan on playing at idle or even around the city go with a 250A HOT unit aka 270 cold which most reputable companies offer.

if you don't mind revving to 2k rpm + then a 370 will yield more power for you. but on hot days city driving red light to red light and such thier idle can be minimal to non existent. also if your car has a red line above 6k rpm and you actually drive it there, be careful becuase a lot fo these companies throw on super small pulleys to get them spinning faster. this also poses a problem because new smaller belts must be used, and if the belt wrap isnt good then you are prone to hearing belt squeel.

it sounds like you like the technical aspect so id look into multiple 370s or 270s depending on the points i mentioned earlier

werd...

there is pro's and con's of all. There is a reason Mike put 4 270's on Kevins quad set up. Derek had some 400 rated pigs, that didnt make it through the first show. He has went back to the 370. Im picking up what your putting down man ;)

you have a pretty optimal setup with a 270 and 370. best of both worlds. got a great power curve going

:) means a lot coming from you.

In fact, when i add a 3rd, it will ALSO be a large case 270. ;)

hey guess what? picked up that 370 elite its a completely different harness and apparently i have to pull the regulator to make it work with my truck http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200301-elite-alt-question/

any sugguestions? thoughts? hacks that i can do? see my thread i have linked about the very subject