2006 silverado 4.8 need more power

• 3 weeks later...

long tubes, 3" exhaust.
my company cargo van witht he 4.8 will give a lot of cars a run for their money lol.
just do it right. tune up, proper ecu tune, proper mods, not a lot of cam lift that destroys streetability for topend power. start with the tune, longtube headers, 3" exhaust, and a mild cam.

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

• 3 months later...

Have to agree with the long tubes, the shorts are just not up to the flow potential of the ls heads. I have total engine airflow stg2 706 CNC heads with a comp xr281 what a diff and 1 /78 pacesetters. With hp tuners I was doing 423/406 at the wheels. This is on a 5.3 with the 4.8 I'd go with the xr270 to account for the smaller displacement. I'm also at 11.21:1 cr. Boost is another great option cheap and adds a shit ton of power.

• 11 months later...

The 4.8 is a good engine but if you're looking for NA power then I would either add a custom grind torque cam to what you have and maybe switch those shorty headers out for some long tubes. Hate to say it after you've already bought them but shorty headers really aren't worth much if anything.

If you aren't looking to put much money into this then the LS6 cam in a 4.8L would be a decent step up and can be picked up cheap but I'm not sure if you would really get the low end acceleration you would from a custom grind cam aimed at making low in torque. Torque is what you need to get that heavy truck moving off the line. Now if you added a higher stall torque converter to quickly get you up higher in the RPM band then I would either have a custom grind cam designed for the stall converter you have or add a custom grind cam now and maybe save up for a torque converter. The converter is going to make a huge difference off the line.

Ultimately if you want a middle ground budget type setup then a low mile 5.3 L33 that has 243 heads stock, mill the heads to get the compression up a bit more, add a custom grind cam ideally designed for a higher stall torque converter and some long tube headers. A built 5.3L can make 400rwhp and at this point you will be looking at getting some sticky tires just to try to keep from blowing the tires off from a dead stop.

If you want even more and have the money for supporting mods then a turbo 4.8 can make for a nasty setup but is going to cost some serious money to do right with all the supporting mods.

If it makes any difference I'm an automotive technician with an 850rwhp F1A procharged 402ci LS2 based fully built with all the supporting mods. I've dumped over 30k$ all together building it and it's still not track legal and needs a transmission that will hold the power. How fast do you want to go and how deep is your wallet?

Archived