Second Skin Audio

Can wire guage affect performance exponentially?

Zbak

Yes, the size of the wire does matter to the amount of power you're trying to produce.

You should use at least 1/0. That 8ga wire won't even carry enough current to supply that amp with what it needs to create the "2000wrms" it claims.

Wouldn't running higher guage wire allow more current to be drawn and increase voltage drop? That doesn't make sense to me sorry

Everyone's so worried about voltage drop.

Your voltage is going to drop regardless because the alternator only supplies what is needed at the time. It drops, then goes back up right? That's the hang-time of the alternator reacting to the demand. As long as your alternator can provide the amount of current required, don't be concerned with voltage. When you drop to battery resting voltage and stay there, that's when you're going to have issues. As voltage decreases, current increases. Current creates heat, so the more current, the more heat. The more current the amplifier requires, the larger wire you're going to need. anything under 800w, I'd use 8ga wire if the amps inputs can't fit anything larger. 800-1500w, 4ga wire. 1500-4000w, 1/0ga wire. But it also has to be wire that is rated for the amount of current the amplifier draws.

You might be able to get away with the 4ga as long as it's current carrying capabilities matches the amount of current your amplifier requires. Bigger wire=more current, more current=happy, more efficient amplifier.

hold on guys.. nobody asked whats his inline fuse? if he has one anyways? does your power or ground wire get hot? do you see melted fuse boxes? or period burning smell at times when playing your system full tilt? i dont think he will pull that 1050 rms when box rise plays effect, his amp could be getting hot from clipping.

anyways just like others have said i would replace with 4 gauge wire

hold on guys.. nobody asked whats his inline fuse? if he has one anyways? does your power or ground wire get hot? do you see melted fuse boxes? or period burning smell at times when playing your system full tilt? i dont think he will pull that 1050 rms when box rise plays effect, his amp could be getting hot from clipping.

anyways just like others have said i would replace with 4 gauge wire

inline fuse is 125 amp and wires don't get warm at all only the amp does

Archived