4k tvs are we there yet?

If it were me I would go LGs 1080p OLED thats not a bad price. Cant beat the contrast on that shit..... 4k just isnt there yet..

I agree with you about the OLED, but we have a curved 55" 4k coming tomorrow. I got a very good deal on it I think, and I could not resist.

I would avoid all the curved stuff, i believe its just a fad. also they only look best when you sit in the center of the tv. unless you watch alone all the time, then your good. they got curved bluray players, and sound bars too ... seems gimmicky

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're better off with a high quality 1080p tv.

Since everything is still basically in 1080p that means everything will have to be upconverted to play on the 4k tv which means essentially stretching the image to double it's original size.

Now imagine what happens to content that's 720p or even lower, it's going to look like shit stretched to work on that 4k screen.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Since everything is still basically in 1080p that means everything will have to be upconverted to play on the 4k tv which means essentially stretching the image to double it's original size.

Now imagine what happens to content that's 720p or even lower, it's going to look like shit stretched to work on that 4k screen.

It's not "stretched" as it's still the same size picture. The width of a pixel does not change. Upconverting simply equally spaces the known vertical and horizontal lines across the screen to form a grid, then uses an algorithm to make an educated guess as to what the inside of each empty square should display. So the less known lines (480 or 720), the further off an upconvert to 4k would be.

"Stretching" would more describe 1) filling a 16:9 widescreen TV with an older 4:3 image or 2) simply playing the same signal through a larger display. So the larger the TV, the less definition the final picture will have. This is not directly related against the specific resolution of the input signal.

And there's already 4k media (tv shows, no movies yet) available on NetFlix. Just sayin. It's comin in hot...

Not to mention n8 openly admits he wants to futureproof a little.

smd-banner_zpsu2ojqise.png

Have you watched the 4k streaming stuff on netflix?

The quality is horrible from them and amazon.

So it chops it up, stretches the image, then fills in the the blanks by guessing, gotcha.

4k is years and years from catching up.

http://www.red.com/learn/red-101/upscaled-1080P-vs-4K

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

That's bandwidth issues for streaming

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

good post because i am waiting to hear about MORE content out there before i even think about upgrading. Funny i say upgrade when i have a $5500 80" TV with that fancy 4k "upscaling" thing already on it. We have had it about a year and a half and i think i watched like one or two movies upscaled. I even have the blue ray player with the upscaling in it. It looks great, but not really much better than a great 1080p TV should look. In other words it don't seem as "stunning" as a 4k should, but looks as stunning as a 1080 can i guess. Besides the OLED's of course...those are SICK!

Anyway, lets not even talk about the 3d part of this tv......that's where i change my tune. 3d SUCKS ASS!!! I have only been amazed while in Vegas at CES. I have YET to be amazed i my living room. Total waste of time and money.

All SMD products + MORE available at my store here! https://wccaraudio.com/ 
wc2022-red-black-whitebg_1667625898__08138.original.png.02e514af82dce531edf1aa4a36851c60.png

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel! Over 1,000,000 subscribers strong! Turn on your notifications!
http://www.youtube.com/meade916

Follow My Instagram! Daily live feeds from the shop, exclusive content way before it hits my Youtube channel...and little squares with photo's in them :D
http://www.instagram.com/meade916

The Official SMD Facebook fan Page
https://www.facebook.com/SteveMeadeDesigns/

Follow my Tweet (Twitter)
http://www.Twitter.com/meade916

Ok for an office not worth it. i worked in magnolia for awhile and avid follow of the avs forums. keep with IFA etc.

4k as a resolution itself makes no sense on smaller tvs unless you're sitting very close. in terms of content its all streaming for now. Sony in general has the strongest processors and upscaling on the market. Seconded by samsung.

heres where it actually matters. Those 6-8 g have a few technologies that 1080 p tvs done. Including greater colors. Most Tvs are Limited to a rec 709 color space. which about 25% of what the human eye can see.. Which is why colors will not look Lush and life like. It will look printed. Where some of the higher end tvs will p3 color space which a huge jump in colors. that firetruck red is really red now. its the movie theater standard .

They also have a technology called Hdr (high dynamic range) which is were you can a very bright area and a dark area right next to each other. as well a better graduation between the 2. More steps infact you're going from 256 steps to 1024 per color. (rgb) giving you more shades.

As it stands now.manufacturers have crippled there offers as well in 1080p. No local dimming. No full arrays . which makes an enormous difference.

4k blurays are starting to be released around christmas time. all movies filmed since 2007 have been shot in 4k. anything shot in film is way beyond that and just has to be rescanned. you will see alot of content unroll at once. They want to sell you all you're same movies again for alot of money.

So in short if you're buying a cheap 4k. not worth the time. but if you're buying high end what you're gaining its better colors that 1080p sets could never reproduce. better lighting control. More Pop. If you get bored go to a store that has HDR setup you will be blown away. its like unlifting a viel. the actual resolution means little at normal setting distances. but rest means alot. so consider that.

good post because i am waiting to hear about MORE content out there before i even think about upgrading. Funny i say upgrade when i have a $5500 80" TV with that fancy 4k "upscaling" thing already on it. We have had it about a year and a half and i think i watched like one or two movies upscaled. I even have the blue ray player with the upscaling in it. It looks great, but not really much better than a great 1080p TV should look. In other words it don't seem as "stunning" as a 4k should, but looks as stunning as a 1080 can i guess. Besides the OLED's of course...those are SICK!

Anyway, lets not even talk about the 3d part of this tv......that's where i change my tune. 3d SUCKS ASS!!! I have only been amazed while in Vegas at CES. I have YET to be amazed i my living room. Total waste of time and money.

Speaking of Oleds . the Lg oleds have a major problems due to inferior processing. Anytime you had a dark scene it crushes black Ie hides alot of the details. They have what i like to call the Lg stutter a very jittery motion issue all lgs tv share. Finnally they have alot of Noise in there pictures when there upscaling anything.

However Panasonic has an Oled coming soon the cz950. they are basically lg panels with a monster processor in them. Lg is kinda like running an SMD sub off a boss amp. Panasonic put that rockford goodness behind it to push it. Fixed all those issues and then some! They also added full HDR (see my previous post) so what an Oled should look like esp for the money you pay for them

Lg is kinda like running an SMD sub off a boss amp.

this is where we will disagree.

I have had several LG's and they have all been good TV's. Unless you are just talking about OLED. That i can't speak on i have never owned one. How many have you owned?

All SMD products + MORE available at my store here! https://wccaraudio.com/ 
wc2022-red-black-whitebg_1667625898__08138.original.png.02e514af82dce531edf1aa4a36851c60.png

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel! Over 1,000,000 subscribers strong! Turn on your notifications!
http://www.youtube.com/meade916

Follow My Instagram! Daily live feeds from the shop, exclusive content way before it hits my Youtube channel...and little squares with photo's in them :D
http://www.instagram.com/meade916

The Official SMD Facebook fan Page
https://www.facebook.com/SteveMeadeDesigns/

Follow my Tweet (Twitter)
http://www.Twitter.com/meade916

It's not "stretched" as it's still the same size picture. The width of a pixel does not change. Upconverting simply equally spaces the known vertical and horizontal lines across the screen to form a grid, then uses an algorithm to make an educated guess as to what the inside of each empty square should display. So the less known lines (480 or 720), the further off an upconvert to 4k would be.

"Stretching" would more describe 1) filling a 16:9 widescreen TV with an older 4:3 image or 2) simply playing the same signal through a larger display. So the larger the TV, the less definition the final picture will have. This is not directly related against the specific resolution of the input signal.

And there's already 4k media (tv shows, no movies yet) available on NetFlix. Just sayin. It's comin in hot...

Not to mention n8 openly admits he wants to futureproof a little.

Coming in hot?

It's been coming in "hot" for years and not much progression has happen

Archived