4k tvs are we there yet?

Things to look at when buying tvs

Native refresh rate

Some tvs will advertise high refresh rates but have a low native refresh rate. This is similar to buying an amp that can produce 2k power but only actually gives you 1k.

240hz is great if your interested in 3D. In order to get good 3D it splits that refresh rate I. Half and creates overlapping images at 120hz each. If you don't care for 3D you don't need 240hz (usually)

Contrast ratio

So much more important then brightness. When looking at the tv in person look for color bleeding into other pixels around it. Specially white, when a white logo appears on the screen with a black background how white is the logo and how black is the back ground? Black areas can look more blue and hurt the depth of the picture and white areas can look more dim but in reality it's not a true white which makes it look darker.

Model numbers

The first 2 numbers represent the screen size in most cases. From there the next set is the series. Siny for instance, xbr55x850d. 55" tv 800 series.

The higher the series the better internals (processor higher quality led, contrast, refresh rate, so on and so forth)

Imo when it comes to tvs in a Sony fan. Not exactly pocket friendly but awesome tvs.

At the moment so y has some great rebates to.

If your willing to go a few inches smaller on tv size you can get a Sony Xbr 4K uhd hdr 65 800 series for less the 1500.

120hz native refresh, high contrast, top quality internals, and they are the guys at the forefront of the technology that goes into tvs.

HDR by the way means high dynamic range. It's an upgraded version of 4K uhd witch helps refine and improve the image all together.

Oh and before considering the oled tvs look at the Sony Xbr z9 tvs. Those are some nice tvs and are using high end LEDs that are tried and true unlike the fairly new oled.

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of what I read so far says that if its not 70" and viewing isn't at least 8 feet away then 1080 is a better buy but who knows I was looking at a 55 Samsung and Visio has some decent deals going on but I have no money

I got a samsung curve and you definitely notice a difference even on the 1080p content, a lot of the nicer 4k tvs upscale the content so true 1080p looks way more detailed and vibrant and 4k content is mind blowing, I can deffinatly agree with the bandwidth issue I have 30mbps download and 5 up and i still have buffering once in a while nothing inhibiting though. My opinion is go with the 4k the difference is extraordinary if your going with a good brand. I can clearly see the difference between my 1080p Samsung LED and my 4k curve.

2012 Kia Soul

Infinity reference 6.5's  Coaxials 

2x Soundqubed HDS312 @ 32hz (hdx312 waiting on alt)

1x Skar Audio RP-2000 (deaf bonce 4k on floor waiting on alt)

1 x Northstar group 35 front

1x Nortstar SMSAGM220 rear (have a second one waiting on alt)

0 gauge Sky High OFC

BIG 4

I got a samsung curve and you definitely notice a difference even on the 1080p content, a lot of the nicer 4k tvs upscale the content so true 1080p looks way more detailed and vibrant and 4k content is mind blowing, I can deffinatly agree with the bandwidth issue I have 30mbps download and 5 up and i still have buffering once in a while nothing inhibiting though. My opinion is go with the 4k the difference is extraordinary if your going with a good brand. I can clearly see the difference between my 1080p Samsung LED and my 4k curve.

Thanks! I have a 46" Samsung 1080p LED TV from 2009 and have it set to 120hz refresh rate but the 4k TV's in stores look a lot better. Was wondering if someone on here had an actual comparison and not the shit the stores replay over and over....

Does the source matter much? I mean, if you watch mostly broadcast shit is it worth buying 4K?

This is what I'm wondering too, it was talked about a while back too. Same as going from tapes to CD's, and VHS to DVD's......now I have to convert a bunch of shit again, lol

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Just bought this lg the other day http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-55UH8500-4k-uhd-tv So far I notice a huge difference between my last hd tv that I purchased about 5-6 years ago, also I personally could see the difference in store between this tv and the other mid line 4K tvs going for say $500-$700 price range. It has a great picture and works awesome with my xbox as well if you're into gaming. The smart tv works great and the 3D is just a added bonus. The way I look at it is that I only buy a tv every 5 to 8 years so I always try to buy one of the top of the line tvs to get my money's worth.

• 1 year later...
4 minutes ago, Kyblack76 said:

RE-bumpin this...

Im shoping now, for a new tv. Looking at a 75"  ... so far, again, im into the samsungs, and ,.. now, looking at a sony. Been a bit,.. who has what, and how happy are ya.????

annnnd youre done looking:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-77-class-76-7-diag--wallpaper-oled-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range/5833900.p?skuId=5833900

Archived