Dashboard teardown?

Going to try to keep it short and to the point here, bear with me. I want to smooth out the dash in my mustang to match all the other custom interior parts I'm in the process of making, and the factory vinyl is textured.

In my past experience resin and filler don't like to stick to vinyl, and I want this to be durable (I don't want to be fixing this in a year.) So I'm wondering if anyone here has any idea what I would find underneath if I ripped up the vinyl? I know each car is different, but I'm assuming most late 90's early 00's Fords would be similar. Basically what are the odds I would be able to fleece/fiberglass the dash once the vinyl is removed?

Juan with the lazytahoe has a fiberglassed stock dash, different vehicles I know but maybe he can help.

2002 Honda CR-V
Alpine 9887

My Build

Rebuilding...

Second Skin Damp
4 DC XL 15's
2 DC 5ks
Singer 320 amp
6 cap banks
Sky High wire
2 VM-1's
OM-1

all under window line

Team DC Audio

Obama has a law he's trying to pass right now, trying to ban Leo for being a threat to children everywhere.

EDIT: Not in a JP kind of way.

I thought I was going to die from all the jizz filling my ears.

You might have a problem with it if you remove the vinyl wrap the fleece over the foam because resin will eat right through some types of foam.

I would sand it down with 80 grit which will take that texture off quickly then smooth it out with multiple steps of higher grit.

Then hit it with a couple coats of high build primer sanding in between coats till you get it perfect, then slap some color on.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

You might have a problem with it if you remove the vinyl wrap the fleece over the foam because resin will eat right through some types of foam.

I would sand it down with 80 grit which will take that texture off quickly then smooth it out with multiple steps of higher grit.

Then hit it with a couple coats of high build primer sanding in between coats till you get it perfect, then slap some color on.

Yeah the foam situation is what worries me most. But at the same time I think cracking might be a problem if I just paint the vinyl, it's soft enough that a good bump might cause problems....

Archived