Tuned a system today with the dd-1

So a friend from work came by today. I set his gains for him using the dd-1 and he left very happy. But there is something else i want to share.

its a 2012-ish camaro,

Ok, so his gear, amazing stuff. He has a DD m2b on 3 DD redline 12's. I think he is running the 500 watt models but unless i pull a sub i dont know and he isnt sure.

Hertz 4 channel amp, hertz speakers throught for mids and highs

a audio control LC6 off a stock headunit.

ok, the bad part. He had a shop build the box for his subs, forward firing, ported to the side, not sealed off. two 3" ports, unknown length,box looked too small for ported

the AC lc6 has 4 rca's running to the 4 channel, only the front input was used on the AC (aside from the sub input). So the other two rca's are just there serving no purpose.

The speaker wires going into the 4 channel and about 6 strands of wire actually going into the terminals, the rest were too short to do anything.

One speaker was wired opposite polarity of the rest.

Anyway, We did a ton of work, his center dash speaker was just trash, so i pulled it and disconnected it and put it back it. Fixed all the shitty connections, set gains, adjusted filters. explained to him every single issue i could find in a helpful way.

as a side note, his head unit played clean at 1k all the way to 42 volume, but only to 25 at 40hz. I am guessing that it boosts bass at low volume so we had to set gains at volume 25/40.

He is super happy with his setup now, its much louder, much clearer and he knows that he can play to "X" volume and have clean signals. But i am not sure if this is a case of customer wants too much and shop just does what it can, or shop give customer what it wants at all costs just to make a buck.

• 2 years later...

Thats GM factory audio at its best.

My old Caddys, my Tahoe, my new Caddy, every GM is like that, Bose, non Bose makes no difference!

Low to moderate volume the bass is clean and heard, once you get close to half volume on the radio the bass just starts to fade away and gets really distorted.

in my experience with the dd-1 I have had to use the maximum sound quality track for setting up subwoofer amplifiers, otherwise the few systems I have done have gotten some coil stink after a bit, including my own. although when set properly every system sounded better and had less voltage drop

anyone have any insight or experience with this?

Kenwood excelon ddx795

3 370 amp CES alternators (audio side only)           
       McLaren dome tweeters                                   Crescendo 6.5 ultra neos 
                                                 NVX JAD800.4
                                            4 PA x4 SPL 18's
                     4 Digital Designs m5's at .7 ohms each
        2 K2 80 ah lithiums

3 group 31 agms                                       Ledglow million color (12 piece)

2007 Yukon xl

15 minutes ago, Masterbasser said:

in my experience with the dd-1 I have had to use the maximum sound quality track for setting up subwoofer amplifiers, otherwise the few systems I have done have gotten some coil stink after a bit, including my own. although when set properly every system sounded better and had less voltage drop

anyone have any insight or experience with this?

Yes. Because most rap and edm songs have 0 db bass peaks, and if you tune with a -15 db track, you are clipping the shit out of your amplifier.

Fuck,.. for a while, i tuned with the -15 ,... and let DECAF and others eat all day. Maybe some coils get stinky easier than others :shrugs:

I did back down to -10, then, finally settled at -6.5. And have used it, ever since. 

Archived