Sundown Audio

What Are The Most Efficient Amplifiers In the 2-5KW Range?

Th3pwn3r

I'm wondering what the most efficient amps are in your experiences in the 2,000-5,000 watt(RMS of course) range. My last amp before I sold it(bad habit selling my systems) was a Digital Designs M4(current model) and I ran it on basically stock charging in my Ford Ranger. The lowest I seen my voltage drop to was 12.6 volts and I was running it @1ohm on two DD 715s. Now I'm in the market for something else really efficient for a 99 Civic install which probably has a 60amp alternator so I'll be most likely buying a H/O alt.

Anyhow, please post awesome amps that are super efficient to your knowledge. I know Rockford has those amps jam packed with caps that are super bada$$ but probably out of my reach(budget). I did search as well before posting and didn't exactly come up with the results I wanted. Thanks in advance guys.

I feel the gain you can get by looking for a more efficient amplifier is negligible. There really isn't any hard data out there on efficiency anyway, we have to trust the manufacturer's specs. The bottom line is, it takes power to make power.

I have seen promise with more efficient charging systems however. AGM batteries just can't recharge as fast as a lithium battery, or a bank of super caps. AGM's simply take longer to charge, and therefore you deplete your battery reserve quickly, and are relying solely on your alt. The quick recharge times of lithium batteries and cap banks use the available alternator power much more efficiently, and can greatly aid in holding steady voltage in a high amp draw system.

It also takes money to make power. This stuff isn't cheap.

Pretty much what was said above, regardless of what amp you have, 2k watts is 2k watts. I know there are variables between manufactures and efficiency but you will still need to have the electrical to back it. Ampere, Crossfire, Flatline audio, and Skar all make great amps are are ones I have used/worked with and have seemed to handle .35 ohm daily, if that tells ya anything. Good luck in your amp search!

www.LowHertzCarAudio.com

IG: LowHertzCarAudio

Facebook: Low Hertz Car Audio

www.lowhertzcaraudio.com

• 2015 Top Dog Champion
  • Limitless Lithium West Coast Warehouse 

The most efficiency you will see is the biggest amp you can afford run at the highest load you can manage. The lower you wire, the less efficient the amp will be (for most amps).

Full bridge amps are also more efficient, but you (arguably) sacrifice durability.

With all of that said... all of the well known Koreans are comparably efficient.

Archived