security and antitheft questions

im gona get a alarm for my truck (04 tb ls) and the only places i trust around me (fort wayne IN) is ziebart and got tint and i was wondering yall's opinion on them or if anyone knows of anywhere elts

that said call me paranoid but im thinking about also locking my box in (heavy eyebolts with trailer tire cable and good padlocks) has anyone had any luck with doing this i considered bolting it to the frame but i dont want to worry about having to unbolt it in the snow,rain, mud ect

but even if my box was bolted to the frame with grade 8 bolts every 3 inch on center it wouldnt do much good if my sub is easily unscrewed so im wondering how you all secure your subs (other than with heavy cross head screws)

my speaker is a 15" _______(im still trying to pin down exactly what it is....not researching things before buying is biting me in the arse) it has 16 holes in the basket (looks like someone drilled 8 more of them) but only 8 are visible through the gasket so plenty of hidden holes to fill

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly, the harder you make it for someone to take something they want, the more likely they are to damage it. So either way, you'll have to pay to replace it. Alarms are pointless unless it's Bluetooth and you're within range to hear it/receive the alarm via Bluetooth. No one cares about the alarms going off enough to investigate it. If they can't unscrew the subs, they'll damage them, same with anything else. If someone wants to steal it, they need it worse off than I do, and insurance will take care of anything missing.

Honestly, the harder you make it for someone to take something they want, the more likely they are to damage it. So either way, you'll have to pay to replace it. Alarms are pointless unless it's Bluetooth and you're within range to hear it/receive the alarm via Bluetooth. No one cares about the alarms going off enough to investigate it. If they can't unscrew the subs, they'll damage them, same with anything else. If someone wants to steal it, they need it worse off than I do, and insurance will take care of anything missing.

the alarm im looking at has a lcd keyfob that alerts me when the alarm goes off

as far as damaging things from what i have heard its easier to claim damages form a break in than a theft

also subs can be re-coned and face plates and dashpanels can be cheaply repurchased though i can see where your comeing from

what purpose are you looking for your alarm to perform? alarms are so easy to work around especially now b/c they haven't changed in nearly 20 years. just imagine if ignitions didn't change how easy it would be now to steal a car.

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

what purpose are you looking for your alarm to perform? alarms are so easy to work around especially now b/c they haven't changed in nearly 20 years. just imagine if ignitions didn't change how easy it would be now to steal a car.

Mainly alert me to theft and deter less confident/experienced thieves

And I know most alarms are easily bypassed one way or another but slot of the ways ( at least that I know) will either take to much effort or chance destroying all electronics in the vehicle

So someone please explain to me how a properly installed alarm is "easily bypassed"? Between a shock sensor, glass break sensor, motion sensor and door pins.... you ain't getting in that thing without setting the alarm off. If you're worried about them getting under the hood and pulling the battery or something, a 10 cent pin/tilt switch on the hood would be all it takes to trip the alarm. From there, battery backup sirens. Make sure the installers hook up the car's horn too. Screwing around under the hood with a couple sirens and the car's horn blaring isn't pleasant AT ALL.

But as has been said, this is all a deterrent. Hopefully a thief will see the deterrent LED and the Viper stickers and move onto a different target. If they still choose to break in, hopefully the alarm/horn going off with be enough for them to run. From there, yeah, securing the box and amp(s) well is your best option. Bolts through the bottom of the box into the body of the vehicle, then install the subs. Install them with either torx screws or maybe T-nuts and 8mm bolts or something? Something other than phillips. You know what would be dope? Weld the nuts to the underside of the body. Then you can screw in/out the bolts from inside the box and never have to get under the vehicle again.

Beyond that, bro, move out of the fucking ghetto.

Follow the golden rules. No stickers on the outside and don't bump where you park.

Alarms are pointless unless it's Bluetooth and you're within range to hear it/receive the alarm via Bluetooth.

ROFL! Bluetooth. I don't think so....

smd-banner_zpsu2ojqise.png

Alarms are pointless unless it's Bluetooth and you're within range to hear it/receive the alarm via Bluetooth.

What do you not think? That being within range of an available Bluetooth transmitting alarm (which is really only when you're home and the car is in your driveway/garage) is not a more reliable (even if still not very good) way of knowing if your car is being broken into and taking action to stop it, rather than hoping that you'll hear it or the non-existent Johnny-do-good will do something? Or you don't think there are Bluetooth alarm modules? Please elaborate as to what you found humorous?

So someone please explain to me how a properly installed alarm is "easily bypassed"? Between a shock sensor, glass break sensor, motion sensor and door pins.... you ain't getting in that thing without setting the alarm off. If you're worried about them getting under the hood and pulling the battery or something, a 10 cent pin/tilt switch on the hood would be all it takes to trip the alarm. From there, battery backup sirens. Make sure the installers hook up the car's horn too. Screwing around under the hood with a couple sirens and the car's horn blaring isn't pleasant AT ALL.

But as has been said, this is all a deterrent. Hopefully a thief will see the deterrent LED and the Viper stickers and move onto a different target. If they still choose to break in, hopefully the alarm/horn going off with be enough for them to run. From there, yeah, securing the box and amp(s) well is your best option. Bolts through the bottom of the box into the body of the vehicle, then install the subs. Install them with either torx screws or maybe T-nuts and 8mm bolts or something? Something other than phillips. You know what would be dope? Weld the nuts to the underside of the body. Then you can screw in/out the bolts from inside the box and never have to get under the vehicle again.

Follow the golden rules. No stickers on the outside and don't bump where you park.

all those things makeup a premium alarm system but still it's pretty easy especially if you got some time. if it were me, i'd set the alarm off to figure out where the siren is located. break the glass and pop the hood, clip the wire to the siren output. flash a light under the dash to reveal where the alarms is mounted, unplug it and now the lights aren't flashing. I now have nothing distracting me from jacking all your stuff. heaven help you if I had someone with me removing your stuff while I do the other things. if it were 2 other people I could get all of your good stuff removed in under 5 minutes. yes my method will make the alarm go off, even if you have some sort of 2 way notification and you're less than 300ft away you'll still have a clipped siren output and a broken window. the real deterrent is prevention of being a target for theft.

all those things makeup a premium alarm system but still it's pretty easy especially if you got some time and not worried about being nice. if it were me, i'd set the alarm off to figure out where the siren is located. break the glass and pop the hood, clip the wire to the siren output. flash a light under the dash to reveal where the alarms is mounted, unplug it and now the lights aren't flashing. I now have nothing distracting me from jacking all your stuff. heaven help you if I had someone with me removing your stuff while I do the other things. if it were 2 other people I could get all of your good stuff removed in under 5 minutes. yes my method will make the alarm go off, even if you have some sort of 2 way notification and you're less than 300ft away you'll still have a clipped siren output and a broken window. the real deterrent is prevention of being a target for theft.

Archived