Sundown Audio

What am should I use?

sirhutson

I am in need of some opinions. In my current setup i run a Pioneer 80PRS with a DD C5D running active on a Focal k2 component set. The d amp is class AB 80 X 4 at 4 ohms. I currently have an older Steg (Mosconi) K203. It's a 2 channel so i would have to introduce a crossover into the picture. But its a superbly made SQ amp which stats are as follows:

245x2 @ 4 ohm stereo

470x2 @ 2 ohm stereo

875x2@ 1 ohm stereo

940 @ 4 ohm mono

1750 @ 2 ohm mono

c5d-6.png

c5d-5.png

^ DD c5d which i currently have running active. Sounds great.

Ok here is the STEG:

steg1.jpg

steg4.jpgsteg5.jpgsteg3.jpgsteg2.jpg

With the steg i would have to introduce out board crossovers. But my question is do you think I will get a better experience with steg and outbaord x'overs or just stick with the active setup?

boss 1200 and a ipod nano.

although that amp looks beautiful, and i dont doubt its pure sq sexiness. i cant see introducing a passive crossover gaining you sound quality, you would lose to ability to control your time alignment, and ability to finitely control your crossover point, along with being able to control the power going to each speaker individually if your tweeters were harsh or something while being full active. but if you havent dont a bunch of TA and fine tuning maybe you wouldnt be able to notice as much, so go for it haha. Maybe run the steg on your midbass since you could potentially turn the gain way down which is what most SQ guys do to really increase the efficiency and quality of signal the amp produces, and run your tweeters off the c5d still....

Fidelity

Built to Last

Team Sound Asleep

24Runner Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/196657-24runner-sleeper-system-lots-of-fi-neo-dd-focal-new-video-w-juicebox-lithium/

2 x 12" Fi BTL N2 / 2 x 12" Fi BTL N3

2 DD M3b

Maxwell 2.7V 3000F Supercapacitors

Pioneer DEH-80prs

Focal P165 V30 components

Rockford Fosgate T-400.4

although that amp looks beautiful, and i dont doubt its pure sq sexiness. i cant see introducing a passive crossover gaining you sound quality, you would lose to ability to control your time alignment, and ability to finitely control your crossover point, along with being able to control the power going to each speaker individually if your tweeters were harsh or something while being full active. but if you havent dont a bunch of TA and fine tuning maybe you wouldnt be able to notice as much, so go for it haha. Maybe run the steg on your midbass since you could potentially turn the gain way down which is what most SQ guys do to really increase the efficiency and quality of signal the amp produces, and run your tweeters off the c5d still....

i like that idea, but i just dont have the room for another amp in my situation. I will eventually do TA , just havent got around to doing it. I think I will still try it and see.

wish you did have the room for another amp... I would offer to trade off my Zapco Z300S2VX for that DD amp, so that I could run active on my front stage lol.

definitely will want to get a nice little SQ demo though from you at the Noize 4 Toys event(aka fuck turkey drag)

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

wish you did have the room for another amp... I would offer to trade off my Zapco Z300S2VX for that DD amp, so that I could run active on my front stage lol.

definitely will want to get a nice little SQ demo though from you at the Noize 4 Toys event(aka fuck turkey drag)

hmmm, talk to me. I could make room for something cool like this.

noize 4 toys??? i heard the BS about turkey drag, bullshit for sure

Fidelity

Built to Last

Team Sound Asleep

24Runner Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/196657-24runner-sleeper-system-lots-of-fi-neo-dd-focal-new-video-w-juicebox-lithium/

2 x 12" Fi BTL N2 / 2 x 12" Fi BTL N3

2 DD M3b

Maxwell 2.7V 3000F Supercapacitors

Pioneer DEH-80prs

Focal P165 V30 components

Rockford Fosgate T-400.4

hmmm, talk to me. I could make room for something cool like this.

send me a PM. Got it repaired by the guy that does DD's amp repair. Haven't gotten to test it yet, I'll get it going here in the next week or so to make sure it's solid.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

Archived