Second Skin Audio

Can someone justify DD prices?

matt scarlett

well when you order 2 custom 3512's and one arrives with a small nick in the cone and the other wasnt supercharged , its pretty disappointing. i didnt really break down the pricing but lets just say probably about $1400 for the pair. Picked them up today and didnt open the box to examine them before i drove home 1 1/2 hours away. get home and one is supercharged the other isnt. then just looking at the one that is supercharged, it has a glaring imperfection on the cone. a nick about the size of a sesame seed. Hard to justify? yeah. im thinking so. my entire truck is DD now. ive put some money into it getting it to near perfection but i'm a little disappointed right now.

i know mistakes happen. people are human. face it. shit happens. but at these prices, for a custom built sub? to have these mistakes? cmon man. not worth the time, money or frustration. sorry. DD lost me as a customer for future builds.

working on a new build for 2016 and it wont be DD.

not sure how they are going to handle fixing these subs. tempted to get my money back.

I've heard the SA subs talked up a lot, but that right there might take the cake.

It's not a matter of talking it up, but just showing what's out there. There are plenty of people who use the phrase

"You can buy better for less"

... then .... back it up with ....... absolutely no alternative suggestions. :unknw: To me, that doesn't come off as being too clever. If I say 'There's something better' i try and back it up with suggestions, or better still my own experiences.

But far from hating JL, I do admire and like JL. But again in the face of the many many brands popping up each week, competition now is not what is used to be back in 1975!!!

DD has more world records than any woofer brand in the world.

DD still dominates world finals even now that the `competition woofer` market is much larger

Until you own one you wont truely understand how impressive they are.

I've not owned one, I owned three, which in comparison to your experience, is small change B) But like JL, isn't that simply a function of the fact that they've been around for so long?

I appreciate the talk about quality, coils, xmax, power handling etc, but the problem is, the next sub comes along with 2mm more xmax, higher power handling, subs that can handle multiples of the rated power etc. Taking that kind of stance seems to be like the parable of the person who built their house on sand! Unless we're comparing a Z-series to a Funky Pup, shouting about such parameters (not in the T/S sense) seems to be null & void. At that price and design purposes, such things like build quality, over-power handling etc is a given surely?

if you are referring to my post about better for less and not say which are because i didnt want to make this thread the battle of the brands.. for those who get what i said know which brands are better for less.. if youre still having trouble head up n8 and ask to share his experience between the DD and the brand he is running now.... he got more for less

This is still going?

obviously

just like the level 6 12.. dont know why the hell it got to 6 pages when the first 5 post said it all

if you are referring to my post about better for less and not say which are because i didnt want to make this thread the battle of the brands.. for those who get what i said know which brands are better for less.. if youre still having trouble head up n8 and ask to share his experience between the DD and the brand he is running now.... he got more for less

Not pointing the finger at you personally, it just seems to be one of those generic statements that just doesn't work. I would like some alternative suggestions, not a thread battle. I just thought that there was something missing about DD that could justify the price, some wizard piece of engineering that I've overlooked.

head up n8 and ask to share his experience between the DD and the brand he is running now

Who is this n8 chap?

look into Fi car audio, Ascendant Audio, and SSA

Fi are cheaper so you do get more than what you pay for. AA and SSA are more costly but are very good subs.. all 3 brands are made in the same people so paying less still offers same quality

N8's that guy at the bar buying everyone drinks and keeping the party going while secretly gathering info and planning to ruin your entire life if you step out of line.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

My 9912's need recones.. well, one does. triple joint came apart and coil broke due to that.

Each was on an M3 though.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Archived