Sonic Electronix

New amp + speakers, static?

Do you have an extra speaker around you could use for testing? Unhook all the speakers and use the test one to see if the static goes away.

If it does then hook up all the installed speakers execpt one and in it's place use the test speaker to find out which one is the problem.

Thanks. I do still have the "stock" speakers that were in there. Friday I have enough time to take apart the doors. I'll test the current speakers unmounted to rule out any contact. If there is still static, I'll switch to the old speakers. If there's still static then, then the speakers are ruled out and it must be wiring or amp

So when playing music off of a CD today, I paused the music and had no static. The music DID seem to be a bit clearer off of CD's. Assuming this is the case, does this mean I need to replace my headunit? (I have nothing plugged into my aux in on my headunit, so it isn't the aux wire as there is still static).

I'll try to do more testing later to verify. The music did seem a bit muddled but could very well be the cd. I'll try a new one when I mess with everything.

Edit: Music paused = no static, but silent part of music on CD = static. Back to square one, will reply Friday...

Alright guys, question!! The manual for my headunit linked here shows preout voltage of 5v (last page of manual). The Fosgate amp shows low level goes up to 4 (manual linked here, page 3). Does this include RCAs? Do I need to run hi level input on the amp?

Excuse me if the question is 'stupid' for I am new to higher level audio. :)

Besides this, tomorrow I have quite a few things to try out...

Alright... I tried wiring up ONLY ONE speaker. Used my old speaker, new wiring, not mounted. No chance of contact and there is STILL static.

I tried running a ground straight to battery and that didn't change anything.

Is it the amp at this point? I could try wiring to hi-level and see if that changes anything, but that's almost a project in its own as I have no small wiring...

EDIT: Just tried a buddy's ground loop isolator. No dice.

Again I ask, should I try wiring to high level? Or just send the amp in?

Almost at the point where I'll go back to stock speakers because these sound worse :(

hook up a different amp in its place to narrow it down to the amp or the headunit

for this step ive dragged a home stereo outside and ran the headunits rcas into the aux of my sony stereo

hook up a different amp in its place to narrow it down to the amp or the headunit

for this step ive dragged a home stereo outside and ran the headunits rcas into the aux of my sony stereo

Tested with my dad's JL JX 360/4. Still has static...

For reference, here is how everything is wired up:

2u8hxtd.png

Basically, I have 2 wires from pos on battery. Both run on same side of car, one goes to sub amp, one goes to mids amp. RCAs run down same side, one for each amp. Remote wires are both connected to same location on stereo, run on same side as RCA and speaker wire. Remote wire for sub amp makes a pit stop at the cap then continues to sub amp.

Ground wire for battery has 0 gauge to factory location. Using 4ga (I believe) for power and ground from cap to sub amp (doesnt fit 0 gauge, but 0 gauge is run to the cap). Ground is run from chassis > cap > sub amp.

At this point I have no idea... Any advice here would be much appreciated.

Update: Tested resistance on ground wires. The wire itself is good (from mids amp), the connection between the two grounds is good, as well as from one wire to another (so both grounds are good, all paint removed etc). Still clueless... Any advice would be much appreciated. About ready to return everything and go back to stock...

Archived