Sonic Electronix

New amp + speakers, static?

any chance you can summarize up what you have done so far into a single post? Might help out a bit!

My bad. Summary:

Tested headunit ground, sub amp ground and mids amp ground. Tried new grounds for all as well.

Ran separate RCA cable away from all other cables. Tested different speaker to eliminate new speakers as well as new speaker wires and mounting.

Tested direct input to amp from iphone>RCA.

Tested current amp with old speaker (old speaker never had static in old setup).

Tested new amp with old speaker (old speaker never had static in old setup).

Tested with different amp.

Did test with a ground loop isolator on both sides of RCA on both amps.

I think that's everything... Do note that the 'static' only comes from the front speakers and tweeters, not the rear (which are factory wiring)

Again, I appreciate the help. Just super disappointed right now with how this has gone.

Have you tested it with a new speaker wire ran to a speaker outside of the car?

Yes. Tested with a new wire to one of the old speakers I am replacing (not mounted, no physical contact with anything). This particular speaker (well, all in the past) have never had this problem.

* edited summary to include this *

have you removed the amp completely from the car and tested it? As in different power source and everything?

I have not tested the amp itself outside of the current power source. How would you recommend doing so? Run positive and ground straight from a battery?

Yeah do that. Just to eliminate the amp it self being bad.

Alright, tested the amp and both old speakers. Amp had pos and grnd hooked up to another car battery. Even WITHOUT RCA's plugged in there was static... Time to send in the amp?

Only a little confused because I tested a separate amp inside the car but wired in the same and it still had static. I can always retry it to see if it was just a fluke.

i would say try the other amp again just to see, then yes worry about fixing the current amp.

Alright, update time.

Used a different amp, different power source, different speakers, and they ALL have this static noise.

Is this something normal??

After tweaking with many settings in the headunit and the amp it seems that the tweeters sound not so good. I'm not sure if this has to do with the static as I previous thought. Does anybody have any experience with the Rockford Fosgate P1675-S, or more specifically the P1T-S tweeters?

Would it be worth ordering separate tweeters to replace the fosgate tweeters? The mids ended up sounding ok however the tweeters were very muddled and harsh.

I'm just so confused as to why every speaker would have this static sound and whether or not this is contributing to my poor sounding tweeters.

Thanks guys.

you are doing something wrong, make sure the crossovers are away from pwr cables ect, and all the cables to the tweeters and mids, arnt damaged/pinched between metel ect. if the speakers are whining when you have no rca's going into the amp then the speakers are getting some sort of interferance

Archived