Second Skin Audio

help with box design pair of alpine type s subs

Sayerman

I have a 2000 Honda Civic coupe and want to put in a pair of Alpine Sws-12d4 12 inch subwoofers in a ported box. I want to go slot ported with each sub getting a separate chamber, ports on opposite ends of box, wanting to tune in the 32-34 hz range. I mostly listen to hiphop and rap music but rock occasionally. The manufacturer recommends 1.5 cubes each. don't know how to work the design software so was hoping someone could help me out with a cut sheet. I can get measurements of trunk if necessary. pairing the sub with a hifonics brx1100.1d, each sub getting 600 rms, Alpine recommends 500rms but I wont turn my gains more than half. upgrading my power wire and ground from 8g to 4g. want the box to look like this one unless centered ports are better

9983.jpg

my name... es grumblezard

Since you are going with separate chambers, center ports or end port won't make a difference, so it's whichever you think looks better.

You should be able to feed those subs 600 watts, no problem. Your amp should be a good size for those sub. However, only turning you gains up to half does NOT mean they are only getting half power or 3/4 power or anything else. In fact you have NO WAY of of knowing how much power they are getting just from the position of the gain knob. Halfway is high enough to clip the hell out of your subs and burn them up in many situations. There are proper ways to set your gains so as to get the most out of your equipment without pushing anything too far. There is lots of info related to that on this site and I encourage you to research it.

Alpine's port area recommendations are really low, for whatever reason, I would use no less than 20 sq in of port area per sub.

What are the max dimensions of your space?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Since you are going with separate chambers, center ports or end port won't make a difference, so it's whichever you think looks better.

I definitely am a fan of side ports.

You should be able to feed those subs 600 watts, no problem. Your amp should be a good size for those sub. However, only turning you gains up to half does NOT mean they are only getting half power or 3/4 power or anything else. In fact you have NO WAY of of knowing how much power they are getting just from the position of the gain knob. Halfway is high enough to clip the hell out of your subs and burn them up in many situations. There are proper ways to set your gains so as to get the most out of your equipment without pushing anything too far. There is lots of info related to that on this site and I encourage you to research it.

Ill have to research the proper gains ill look that up.

Alpine's port area recommendations are really low, for whatever reason, I would use no less than 20 sq in of port area per sub.

just measured and my max dimensions are 32 inches wide, 15 inches tall and 30 inches in depth. the trunk is a bit wider but im accounting for the trunk hinges swinging down.

also should I use mdf or birch?

MDF or birch plywood both can work well. They both have their respective advantages and disadvantages. Good birch ply is better than MDF in my opinion, but MDF is better than crappy birch.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

MDF or birch plywood both can work well. They both have their respective advantages and disadvantages. Good birch ply is better than MDF in my opinion, but MDF is better than crappy birch.

Does the recommended box volume include the volume of the port or do I add that on

The recommended box volume of 1.5 cubes is net airspace, so it doesn't include the amount of space the sub and port take up. You will need to factor those in with your design.

Builds:

The recommended box volume of 1.5 cubes is net airspace, so it doesn't include the amount of space the sub and port take up. You will need to factor those in with your design.

my box is going to be 14 inches tall, accounting for 3/4 inch mdf on top and bottom of port that leaves 12.5 inches of port height, and to have 20+ inches of port area I'm going with a 1.75 inch wide slot port, giving me 21.875 inches of port area. the volume of subwoofer magnet is .06 cubic feet and added to the 1.5 cubic foot recommendation that's 1.56 cubic feet. when i use a port calculating software http://www.mobileinformationlabs.com/HowTo-1Woofer-Box-CAL%20Port%20lenth%201.htm tuned to 32 hz it recommends 32.17 inches in length when I use a height of 12.5 inches and a width of 1.75. the area of the port 12.5 x 1.75 x 32.17 = 703.71 divided by 1728 gives me .4 cubic feet of port area. my question is do I add this to the box volume giving a box volume of 1.96 cubic feet when including the port, or do i subtract it from 1.56 giving me a sub box volume of 1.16 including the port?? the port wall volume is .17 cubic feet and idk how to factor that in either

thinking my gross box volume will be 2.13 cubic feet per chamber. thats 1.5 ft^3 plus .57 ft^3 for the port volume plus port wall displacement plus .06ft^3 for subwoofer magnet displacement. Is this correct or am I messing something up. I tried to include all math so you could spot any miscalculations

Ok here's something you can test your calculations on:

type_s.jpg

It's ~1.5 cubic feet per chamber tuned to ~34 HZ, port area for each chamber is 21.875 square inches, each driver displacement is 0.06 cubic feet. Wood thickness is 3/4".

Note that area is not a volume, port area is in this case port width x port height.

Ok here's something you can test your calculations on:

type_s.jpg

It's ~1.5 cubic feet per chamber tuned to ~34 HZ, port area for each chamber is 21.875 square inches, each driver displacement is 0.06 cubic feet. Wood thickness is 3/4".

Note that area is not a volume, port area is in this case port width x port height.

you are the man! thank you so much

Archived