Second Skin Audio

2006 Avalanche. First Timer!

Hi Guys,

Need assistance on my truck. Its a 2006 Avalanche Regency Conversion as stated above. I have a very very small system compared to the ones on here. My main issue right now is as usual for a Chevy, rattling and creeks. 22's don't help either. After reading this forum, I guess I should start with the doors as i have most rattles coming from there and kill 2 bird with one stone in terms of sound quality. Also thinking of doing the B & C pillars if necessary. Second Skin will be my go to product but I cannot at this point in time afford to do 100% coverage. Where do you all suggest I start and what will I need?

Thanks,

Keagan

Edit: Fun began!

Doors

IMG_1310_zpsmejfjaot.jpg

IMG_1313_zpsaqtxqpnc.jpg

IMG_1312_zpsbeak72iv.jpg

Pillars

image_zpsmwcdqtfx.jpeg

image_zpsszhctdui.jpeg

image_zpsy26deqxc.jpeg

image_zpsffvsvdi7.jpeg

image_zpscogwrzcx.jpeg

image_zps1sifjuvl.jpeg

image_zps3ml6db1i.jpeg

Well this is where my 18 sheets of damp pro comes to an end! :( Another set coming in a week or so hopefully! Those will be for the floors and if any remains then I will use it to start the roof.

**17/11/15 updated**

I went about doing the floors, the extremely hard way! But got it 98% done

IMG_1378_zps12co6x1j.jpg

So after taking out the back seat with the help of my pops, this happened... 5 mins in

image1_zpsoj1rzt9z.jpg

image2_zps0k1caw82.jpg

image3_zpsqpoedvnn.jpg

image7_zpsszx4q08m.jpg

Like I mentioned, the extremely hard way!!!

image5_zps5de1ddqm.jpg

image4_zpsbyplrtfd.jpg

This is the reason why I went this route than taking everything out. All my audio & video wires run either under the carpet and most of the others run in the channels, up under the dash through the center console. I was not about to go and disconnect and re-solder and reroute those wires all over again. No sir I surely would not!!!

image6_zpsqfwmzjiv.jpg

And here we are after a few choice curse words and a lot of heavy lifting, I swear those front seats weigh more than i do, (i'm only 130)

image8_zpseqa591zo.jpg

This is where the 18 sheets ended, about 1 sheet shy of completing the trans tunnel. From my finger to the end of that red wire that you can't see is all that was left. I could not reach it without completely removing that center console and the air ducts. 1 sheet remained and that would of completed it all. Oh well!

image9_zpsemsmxvrd.jpg

Edited by Keagan-Z06
  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

HU: Pioneer 4100 NEX
Subs: 2 Rockford Fosgate R2SD4-10"
Amp: Rockford Fosgate P500-1bd wired @ 1ohm
Front: Polk Audio Components DB6501
Amp: Pioneer GM A5602 wired @ 4 ohm
Rear: Polk Audio Coaxials db651s
(2) OM-1s, (1) VM-1

I have a very similar truck and am interested as well in hearing the response. Also is second skin used alone or in addition to another sound deadening product?

Current Setup:

Mechman 370a Alt 4 pin

DC Triple Alt Bracket

XS3400 Battery

4 Ampere 6.5 components 4 tweets

Ampere 150.4 way

Norcal SS Custom 3/5 Lowering Kit with 3inch Lower Control Arms

DG Roll Pan

LED License Plate Lights

I believe they have everything you need. Different applications for different purposes.

(2) OM-1s, (1) VM-1

I just purchased the door pack with 8 12x20 sheets I believe. I figure that's a start?

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

(2) OM-1s, (1) VM-1

Keagan,

Thanks for your interest in Second Skin!

There is not one product that will work for every application, which is why you see so many products on our website.

My suggestion is to follow this 2 step plan:

This is how it would work out for your 2006 Avelanche:

Step 1 - Interior vibration damping

Apply a layer of Damplifier or Damplifier Pro to the interior of the cars sheet metal (under the carpet, doors, floor, firewall, ceiling, behind the upholstery, and most importantly, directly behind the noisy spots)

* Your vehicle can use 60-100 sq feet depending on how detailed you want to get. Our Spectrum liquid sound insulation will produce the same results when built up to 3MM. 1 gallon covers 10 sqft with 3MM thickness (2-3 coats).

Step 2- Interior Noise Barriers

Apply a layer of Luxury Liner Pro on top of the vibration mat to block stubborn airborne noise (this will make a tremendous difference with the goals you listed)

* You can use between 4 & 6 sheets + 1 can of adhesive for every 4 sheets you use

These 2 steps are the base foundation for the sound deadnening and thermal control. Both noise, and heat will be reduced by a very large margine!

If you want to take your install a step further, you can do this:

Step 3 – Exterior Vibration Coating

Treat the underside of the vehicles floor pan and wheel wells with a hefty layer of Spectrum or Sludge, our noise and vibration coatings. This will sandwich the floor with the interior damping mats and will yield amazing results.

* You can use 3 or 4 gallons to properly treat the underside of the floor and wheel wells

For the ceiling or under the hood install Damplifier Pro or Spectrum and then add Heat Wave Pro

For panels that are rattling use OverKill or OverKill Pro installed between them this will create a perfect cushion.

The 3 step plan is by far the best way to handle the issues you laid out. Nothing else in the industry can touch this combination of products, but the first 2 steps is plenty, and will yield amazing results!

Not only will your ride be made insanely quiet, it will also be insulated from extreme temperatures, and will feel more solid as you drive it.

Feel free to call me with any questions:

800-679-8511

I will be happy to set aside some time to discuss your project further.

Eric

www.secondskinaudio.com

[email protected]

(800) 679-8511

(520) 574-2081 fax

Edited by Second Skin
  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

Whether you are restoring a classic muscle car, building an audio system monster, or trying to give yourself a bit of silent luxury on your daily commute, we have a product or combination of products that will help you achieve your goals while saving money and save time. Look around our site, educate yourself and make the choice that is right for you.

Over built to over perform - because user error, bad batch, and faulty install are excuses that other companies use!

468x60.png

Areas to start first would be floors and doors. Next would be the trunk,pillars, and firewall, followed by the ceiling and hood last.

Whether you are restoring a classic muscle car, building an audio system monster, or trying to give yourself a bit of silent luxury on your daily commute, we have a product or combination of products that will help you achieve your goals while saving money and save time. Look around our site, educate yourself and make the choice that is right for you.

Over built to over perform - because user error, bad batch, and faulty install are excuses that other companies use!

468x60.png

As for a coverage percentage we would suggest nothing below 60% as coverage of 60% yields in 90% effectiveness, after 60% coverage you are just chasing that last 10%. Others (even some of our sponsored builds and team member videos) suggest dropping down to 25% in lower bass/vibration situations but we still recommend 60% coverage as the science of our 15 years of testing, shows that is the sweet spot for a high quality butyl rubber product like Damplifier. In our builds we usually get closer to 100% as we would never want to go through all the work of tearing apart our upholstery and missing a noisy spot and having to re-tear out the upholstery to fix the issue. Always best to do it ONE time (in our opinion).

Good Luck with your build and feel free to contact us with any further questions.

Second Skin For The Win!!!

468x60.png

Thanks guys for the advice. I would want to start with the doors and then the floor after I save up for a kit. I am not saving up for the kit per say but the shipping cost and troubles to get it here in Belize. I recently purchased a door pack from another member to get started. On a scale of 1-10, how much difference would that make? I intend to do the floors after.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

(2) OM-1s, (1) VM-1