Second Skin Audio

Rockford Fosgate 12" P3 Sub Enclosure

RyanRosier

I have recently just purchased a Rockford Fosgate P3 12" inch sub. I want to build a box but not really sure if it's best to stay within the manufactures recommended dimensions of .75 to 1.25 for a sealed box. And then the subject of what provides better sound, from a box thats taller than long, or longer than tall. Then the subject of facing the sub towards the back seat or out into the trunk. Can some one help me out? I'm very knowledgeable to car audio, just not at going beyond manufacturers recommended volume and trunks. :cray:

2003 Chevy Silverado Reg Cab. Rockford Fosgate 500a2 and Kicker ZR240 each on their own 12" Kicker Comp S. Small, but everyone's gotta start somewhere.

Those specs are for the sealed box. Is that what you plan on doing? If so, it makes no difference what shape the box is. Make it taller, longer, shallow, who cares. Just the overall internal net air space is all we care about. As for which way the sub faces, it's hard to tell you. It's all about wavelength. Sub bass notes are very long and "usually" it's tough to sit far enough away from the sub. So rule of thumb if you have zero clue is to point the subwoofer towards the tail lights. I'm sure someone will chime in with a counter-opinion and that's fine. There's no cement rule that works best for every single application.

Oh and as for the sizes Fosgate recommends, you can certainly go outside that if need be. Going larger will give you greater low frequency extension and efficiency (means less power handling). Going smaller will have the opposite effect.

smd-banner_zpsu2ojqise.png

What exactly does less power handling mean out of curiosity?

There are two components to power handling, thermal and mechanical. The mechanical limit is how much power can be applied before the sub takes damage from cone excursion, things like tearing spiders, ramming the coil into the back plate, etc. Thermal power handling basically comes down to the subs ability to dissipate heat. Its how much power can be applied before something fails due to getting too hot. Neither thermal or mechanical handling are an absolute number, they both vary significantly based on the application and environment the sub is used in.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived