Sonic Electronix

Headlight dimming problem. Need help please

Hi, i have a huge problem with my headlights dimming when the bass hits. I understand why it does it, and i kinda get what i should do, but i feel i should have already done enough to solve it. Ok, so i have a kicker lx1000.1 amp, two 10" L7 solobaric kicker subs in separate ported boxes. I have 1/0 awg wire (copper not aluminum) all throughout my system. (power wire, grounds, all that) i also have a 1.5 farad capacitor. I just did the Big 3 upgrade yesterday but the problem isn't any better. If it is any better it is VERY little. Even at about 2000 rpms its dimming enough to tell it when driving. Capacitor is showing 14.1 volts when no bass hitting and on certain songs, its dropping to 12 volts. I'm questioning if i did my big 3 upgrade correctly... I followed a step by step instruction online. seemed legit. What i did was run wire from alternator to fuse box, then from fuse box to hot on battery. Then for my ground i ran wire from inner fender (same place factory ground was) to the battery. I also included another ground wire from my engine to the chassis. I did everything it told me to do. I can't tell any improvement. I've read that next step is either a high output alternator (which i don't wont to buy because i don't have the money right now for that) or installing two alternators, which is also expensive. Maybe a bigger capacitor? or different type of battery? Battery was tested not long ago and showed it was good-great. So unless another alternator then im stumped. Somebody help and also tell me if i did my big 3 correctly. Thanks!

I hear that dimming can come from as little as .1 drop in viltage. That's a monster you probably don't want to chase. How bad are they dimming? I think I have heard of switching to HID to help with dimming but don't quote me on that.

Edit: Also what capacitor are you using?

Still learning but have started gathering.

Then you need a bigger alt. Id also suggest an agm replacement for your main battery. Are you grounded to the frame from your amp? A bad ground can cause dimming lights sometimes.

I think HIDs will help, but otherwise you are almost always going to have dimming lights. The lights will react very quickly to voltage changes, much faster than the alternator responds. So even if you have more ALT than you need you can still have dimming lights.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Archived