DC Sound Lab

(2) xl12's box as backseat port help

https://www.imageshack.us/i/p386GMc8j

86GMc8.jpg

Heres my box I need help determining port size and length. Id like to tune it to around 30 ish for daily. The subs will be inverted so there wont be displacement for them. Id prefer tito use aeroports so i can adjust the tuning if I need to. Subs will see around 2k each. Any help would be great!

Edited by bman8891
  • Like (+1 Rep) 1
TeamDeadlyHertz-bman8891.png

Nowhere near enough port area IMHO. Even two 6" aeros would be a bit on the small side.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

rQ5XN3.jpg

Okay I did that and here's what I came up with. Do y'all think this will work?

Yea the boxes I've done with areo ports are 9-10inches port per ft with great results. I say yes to the 6" areo

c-pillar flat wall 157.11db on music

2 crossfire 8k

4 NSV3 18s

4 crescendo 10s

4 Rockford pro 6.5s

Quad excessive amperage 350alts

4 juicebox 3100s

Nowhere near enough port area IMHO. Even two 6" aeros would be a bit on the small side.

If I did that it would be over 20 square inches of port per cubic foot and my ports would have to be like 6 feet long. Remember how small this box is everything I've seen says 1.5-1.75 per xl12.

TeamDeadlyHertz-bman8891.png

If I did that it would be over 20 square inches of port per cubic foot and my ports would have to be like 6 feet long. Remember how small this box is everything I've seen says 1.5-1.75 per xl12.

Your box is a perfect example of why "port area per cube" rules don't always work out. I've built plenty of boxes with over 20 sq in of port per cube, it all depends on what the application requires. You are going to be putting 4k watts into this box, that's going to move some air and you need to facilitate that or your output is going to suffer significantly.

To put things in perspective, Sundown recommends 40 sq in of port area per sub for their Zv.4 12"s. A single 6" aero port is 28 sq in, so you have 14 sq in per sub. Does that sound like a recipe for success?

I know there are other people here who are saying they've run similar setups with a single 6" aero, but here's the problem, how do you hear the output you aren't getting because your port is too small? You can't. Port compression isn't always audible, but you would sure as hell hear the difference if it wasn't there.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

I understand well physically 2 5" aeroports is about as much as I can fit that would make the box 3.3 cubes and give me 11.9 inches of port per foot with 39 square inches of port area

Well that's better than a single 6" port, but is still significantly undersized.

Have you built this box yet? Is it possible to just make the box bigger so you can use the proper amount of port area?

Builds: