WHAT SIZE alternator do i need for 5000 watt rms

id be laughing when the OP comes in and says he will be using a boss 5k amp.. everyone suggesting alternators and dont even know the amp that will be used or the load it will be wired to... even a quality 5k amp can be ran on a 140a alternator if wired at 4ohms

On that car unless he does a separate charging system for the stereo he's going to get no benefit from an aftermarket alt since it has that current draw sensor loop thing.

That is why I said a secondary alt and leave the factory one alone.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

This is all good stuff. Since I won't be at a full 5000 for a 6 months rent more. I'll be 4300wrms. And money is tight for now. So the 270 should be good until I'm rolling again then I'll eek where I'm at with power use etc...a and if anything needs attention. Thank you so much for your help gentlemen.

This is all good stuff. Since I won't be at a full 5000 for a 6 months or more. I'll be 4300wrms. And money is tight for now. So the 270 should be good until I'm rolling again then I'll check where I'm at with power use etc...a and if anything needs attention I'll get after it.

Thank you so much for your help gentlemen.

If you're going to replace the stock alt with the 270 you might as well just leave the stock one in there and keep the money because you aren't going to have good results.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

id be laughing when the OP comes in and says he will be using a boss 5k amp.. everyone suggesting alternators and dont even know the amp that will be used or the load it will be wired to... even a quality 5k amp can be ran on a 140a alternator if wired at 4ohms

2x helix 1600wrms amps strapped for (3200wrms @2ohm)

2x hertz hdp 4 1000 watt rms for (2000 watts total at 4 ohm)

I run dual alts on 4k (GM140 and mechman 370). with dual inputs to each 2k amp. and 6 group 31 batts in the back.

If the OP wants to go overkill. it's his money.

So OP, I say get the biggest alt you can fit.

P.S. my mids and tweets anp is also a 2k amp :) so my setup is more like 6k.

On that car unless he does a separate charging system for the stereo he's going to get no benefit from an aftermarket alt since it has that current draw sensor loop thing.

That is why I said a secondary alt and leave the factory one alone.

im with you on this but what amp will he run?

the 270 is good enough for a real 5k system

Archived