Second Skin Audio

Questions for 85 caprice

bam334

I'd like to hear some input from people who've got experience with the old schools, in particular the box Chevy. I'm not too concerned with meter scores on this build but I want it to be aggressive and low. My questions are:

1. Has any body been able to successfully tame the rattles these are cursed with( I know deadner only goes so far)

2. With the trunk being so big would facing the subs and port forward about a foot from the back seat bring back some of the low freq response I'd loose facing them this way (the trunk itself would be sealed off from the front of the woofers and port but I'm thinking that since there would be a good amount of air space left on the non visible side of the trunk display it may help work in my favor)

3. If I enclose the 6.5s for the rear deck( to keep them from being pressurized by the subs) would I change the sound of them negatively?

I plan on using 2 sundown zv4 15's but open to the idea of 12s if it helps with the rattles

85 caprice classic

-Paint and Body

-Billet silver metallic under ice blue pearl

- midnight blue vinyl top

-all chrome replaced

-Interior

-smoke grey with blue inserts and piping

Audio

- coming soon

Here is a shitty picture of the trunk from before it got painted so excuse the junk trunk

If you notice between the wheel wells the trunk floor angles upward. What I thought about is placing the box right on the edge of where it angles upwards. Subs and port facing the back seat with the back wall of the box being plexi to see the magnets. From the edges of the box I would have panels come out at a 45 degree angle to the end of the trunk. This would the hold amps between mdf and plexi. What I want to know is if the space BEHIND the panels for the amps and the gap between the box and seats would work for me or against me. The space would be sealed off at the top. You won't be able to see in there behind the panels or box if you're looking in the trunk. Again this is not aimed at being a spl build just freakishly low

Open to any ideas and suggestions

image_zps3hb3cs35.jpeg

85 caprice classic

-Paint and Body

-all chrome replaced

-Interior

Audio

- coming soon

Lots of pro audio companies like Eminence sell closed back midranges so you could use those. You lose midbass though, frequency response only goes down to like 500hz then.

Not sure if you'd be able to do a 4th order and fire the port inside the cabin but that would solve all trunk rattle.

I really don't want to get into cutting to make a fold down seat. Plus that would leave me in a situation of putting all that pressure in the cabin and parts are getting harder to find and more expensive for these. I'm thinking I can do it like my lesabre was and deaden it all 2 or 3 times over. Every caprice I see where I live rattles to retarded levels but then again maybe they aren't deadening at all?? Some people like to rattle...I hate the shit lol

85 caprice classic

-Paint and Body

-all chrome replaced

-Interior

Audio

- coming soon

I have a 95' Caprice and I feel ya. Some folks like all that rattleness and think they bumping when you are losing acoustical energy. Hell man who wasn't like that cause I sure as hell was. I'm really considering doing a wall or building the box on the hump and sealing off that way. I would fire it through the cab for sure to get less rattle. It's not the family ride so what the hell. Check out what he did to this Lac. This is one of my favs.

Yeah that shot look good. So I notice you and the guy on the video both still want the sub right up against the seat. Is my idea of letting it fire into a chamber created by the space between the seat and baffles and the space behind the display panels not likely to work? I would do the experiment over and over but I'm a trucker and not home a lot so I try to be one shot one kill with most of the car so far

85 caprice classic

-Paint and Body

-all chrome replaced

-Interior

Audio

- coming soon

Archived