Sundown Audio

Does this install sound right?

KMS

Took my vehicle into a stereo shop. Vehicle is a 2003 Volkswagen Jetta with a double din, and Monsoon system with amplifier.

I took the vehicle in to install a 4 channel and upgrade my door speakers.

What they did was tap into the factory monsoon amplifier somehow and combine my aftermarket amplifier with it. Their reasoning was to it will help keep alternator whine away. At the doors, they cut into the factory wiring speaker wiring and use those wires, crimped on my 14 gauge wire and ran them to the speakers. In the back, they cut some factory speaker wires, crimped on 14 gauge wire and ran that to my aftermarket amplifier. I'm not entirely sure what's going on but it works.

When I went to set my gains when I got home with the DMM I noticed at 28/35 volume of the alpine headunit, I was seeing a few volts show up with the aftermarket amp gains all the way down. Now, with my previous installs by doing them myself, I never noticed voltage with the gain all the way down. These cars never had aftermarket amp neither. Does this sound normal?

Another thing I've noticed is the front left speakers on two different sets I've encountered problems. First, the mid woofer having soldering issues and not playing correctly and lower volume than norm. Had to RMA those. Second set I had the same issue almost but with the tweeter cutting in and out. Two different speakers with similar issues. Is this a cause of concern? I did buy them off ebay and maybe were b stock for all I know.

I just installed some new speakers and don't want the issue to arrive again. Should I be worried? Is tapping into the stock amplifier a cause of concern or anything? Not sure what to do here.

Forgot to add, using an alpine 149bt with the vehicle.

Alpine PDX-V9

Morel Tempo 6

Alpine SBR-S8-4

Alpine CDE 149BT

Not to be mean but the whole linking the amp for alt whine sounds a bit ridiculous. But maybe Jetta specific.

HU: Pioneer 4100 NEX
Subs: 2 Rockford Fosgate R2SD4-10"
Amp: Rockford Fosgate P500-1bd wired @ 1ohm
Front: Polk Audio Components DB6501
Amp: Pioneer GM A5602 wired @ 4 ohm
Rear: Polk Audio Coaxials db651s
(2) OM-1s, (1) VM-1

Not to be mean but the whole linking the amp for alt whine sounds a bit ridiculous. But maybe Jetta specific.

That's what I thought. I thought they were going to bypass the factory amp. :\

Alpine PDX-V9

Morel Tempo 6

Alpine SBR-S8-4

Alpine CDE 149BT

Trying to find more about my specific vehicle with monsoon and upgrades but only see LOC with a stock headunit. Nothing similar to my setup or what I've wrote. :\

Alpine PDX-V9

Morel Tempo 6

Alpine SBR-S8-4

Alpine CDE 149BT

Clarification:

New head unit.

New amp.

New speakers.

Right?

Many installers will use the factory speaker wires from the stock amp location to save you some time and money. That's not a huge deal depending on which 4 channel you have and it's power output. But you should have new RCAs from your new HU to your new amp and the factory amp should be disconnected if what I have listed above is correct.

Static drops are my bag.

Agreed.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Clarification:

New head unit.

New amp.

New speakers.

Right?

Many installers will use the factory speaker wires from the stock amp location to save you some time and money. That's not a huge deal depending on which 4 channel you have and it's power output. But you should have new RCAs from your new HU to your new amp and the factory amp should be disconnected if what I have listed above is correct.

Agreed.

Good to hear. Thank you. Was afraid of power from both amps. I checked the factory amplifier and seems to be plugged in still but didn't really look in there as it's behind hard foam. There are new rca's from the HU to the Alpine PDXv9 amp.

Alpine PDX-V9

Morel Tempo 6

Alpine SBR-S8-4

Alpine CDE 149BT

Archived