Sign in to follow this  
CarAudioFab

#FabricationFriday! Post your questions, get video answers!

What’s up guys? Something I have been wanting to do for a while is start making weekly videos that are an addition to the normal tutorial videos from the channel. I get a lot of questions from you guys and many times I know that making a video will help answer the question better. The idea here is post a question in this thread and each week I will pick a question from here (or other social media) to answer.

Last week I covered a question that I hear a lot on the forums: “How many layers of fiberglass should I use to make … “. You can check that video out here:

This week’s question was “How do I seal the terminal cup on the subwoofer box”. In this video I answer that question but also explain why I do not really like terminal cups and I go over some of the other ways to run wire from your amplifier to the subwoofer through the wall of the box. I also cover how to prevent vibration of the wire against the inside of the box:

Enjoy! Don’t forget to post your fabrication questions!

-Mark

Host of "CarAudioFabrication" - YouTube Car Audio Tutorial Channel

Forum.png

Check out my forum section here on SMD for my builds and tutorial videos!

Subscribe on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/CarAudioFabrication

When it comes to speaker adapters should we use MDF and coat it somehow to protect it from the elements withing a vehicle door, or should we use plastic materials? That’s covered in this weeks #fabricationfriday :)

-Mark

Forum.png

Thank for doing these awesome videos Mark! So I have yet another question about fiberglass for you. So some fabricators such as Kyle Golden have been saying that fiberglass does not actually adhere to the plastic which is used to make door panels and dashes. If that is the case, is there anything that can be done to make it adhere properly, or should we just use other materials. I ask because I was going to start on my doors this winter, and everything I have learned to do all involves fiberglass, but Kyle just uploaded a video saying that it wouldn't last in an application where the fiberglass needed to adhere to the panel, and it should not be used.

I should also note that for my application, I can not make a panel which just mounts to the existing panel, the existing panel has basically no structural rigidity by itself.

In response to your previous video, I would like to say that I built an enclosure which I coated with several coats of a bedliner material called Rockgaurd I believe. One day my vehicle leaked in some heavy rain, and the entire side of the box swelled. The bedliner did not stop the water at all. Just my experience on that subject.

Thanks for any input Mark,

Sawyer

Edited by MrBigs63'

@mrbigs63' you can spray the plastic panel with SEM texture paint. let it set for 24hrs then the resin will stick.

Edited by boometro

Thank for doing these awesome videos Mark! So I have yet another question about fiberglass for you. So some fabricators such as Kyle Golden have been saying that fiberglass does not actually adhere to the plastic which is used to make door panels and dashes. If that is the case, is there anything that can be done to make it adhere properly, or should we just use other materials. I ask because I was going to start on my doors this winter, and everything I have learned to do all involves fiberglass, but Kyle just uploaded a video saying that it wouldn't last in an application where the fiberglass needed to adhere to the panel, and it should not be used.

I should also note that for my application, I can not make a panel which just mounts to the existing panel, the existing panel has basically no structural rigidity by itself.

In response to your previous video, I would like to say that I built an enclosure which I coated with several coats of a bedliner material called Rockgaurd I believe. One day my vehicle leaked in some heavy rain, and the entire side of the box swelled. The bedliner did not stop the water at all. Just my experience on that subject.

Sawyer Keller

I really believe bedliner only slows the process of water coming in, either way its still happening. A lot of guys have started using strictly King Starboard for enclosures for the marine environment.

As far as fiberglass goes, it definitely does not adhere well to plastic, you need to drill holes in the panel. In my opinion the best way is to go about things is to never try and bond anything to the OEM plastic, you have to find solutions to mount to it and match its profile. Not add to it. I have some plans for the future. ;)

In the case of tweeter pods you can get away with adding... but only because they are small.

-Mark

Forum.png

Sawyer Keller

Depending on the specific situation it might be easiest to wax up the plastic panel and use it as a mold, then strip the wax and sand the plastic down a bit and use a good adhesive to attach the glass piece.

Sawyer Keller

I really believe bedliner only slows the process of water coming in, either way its still happening. A lot of guys have started using strictly King Starboard for enclosures for the marine environment.

As far as fiberglass goes, it definitely does not adhere well to plastic, you need to drill holes in the panel. In my opinion the best way is to go about things is to never try and bond anything to the OEM plastic, you have to find solutions to mount to it and match its profile. Not add to it. I have some plans for the future. ;)

In the case of tweeter pods you can get away with adding... but only because they are small.

Sawyer Keller

Depending on the specific situation it might be easiest to wax up the plastic panel and use it as a mold, then strip the wax and sand the plastic down a bit and use a good adhesive to attach the glass piece.

Thanks for the info guys. Like I said the panel itself does not really have any structural rigidity itself. It is from a much older vehicle, so I am not too sure about attaching a large fiberglass piece with a bunch of heavy speakers to it. I will figure something out though. Much appreciated.

It's Fabrication Friday! So how do you mount door pods, false walls, amp racks and other fabricated items into a build? And once they are mounted how do you hide the fasteners? I address those questions in the weeks video!

-Mark

Forum.png