The "Pimpala" v2 6th order, Team Fi, DC 10k, Juicebox Lithium. 10k Is In!!!!

i need to flow this thread since im in the same boat with 6th orders. i get the same impedance ups and downs... the only think i doesn't get that many spikes since im wired pretty low... .35 ohms... anyways awesome build log i need to get my 6th playing low like yours my drops after completely after 30-32 hz

edit: what kind of graph chart software did you use... im still using pen and paper <_<

i just used my AMM-1 and did multiple impedance sweeps with the doors in the different configurations, then wrote it all down in my notepad. since i have a mac i didnt have any graphing software so i just searched for "free online graphing" and the first one on google that came up worked perfectly.

Fidelity

Built to Last

Team Sound Asleep

24Runner Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/196657-24runner-sleeper-system-lots-of-fi-neo-dd-focal-new-video-w-juicebox-lithium/

2 x 12" Fi BTL N2 / 2 x 12" Fi BTL N3

2 DD M3b

Maxwell 2.7V 3000F Supercapacitors

Pioneer DEH-80prs

Focal P165 V30 components

Rockford Fosgate T-400.4

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, the impedance does really move around a lot based on how you have your doors configured. That does make it a bit tricky to nail down your tuning frequencies.

I've always had trouble trying to accurately determine tuning just by looking an impedance plots. The two other ways I've done it are to use a calibrated mic and put it right next to the cone and do a sine wave sweep. There will be very sharp dips is output at the cone right at the tuning frequencies. I've only used this method with ported boxes though so I'm not sure how it would work out in your situation. The other way, and probably the easiest, is to look at the cone and see what frequency it moves the least. It could help if you were to put something like a little piece of tape hanging off the cone to help you see small movement. I usually just put some sawdust on the cones to detect small movement, but that only works if they are facing up, which obviously yours are not.

FYI, your greatest efficiency it actually where the impedance peaks, since with the impedance so high you are hardly putting any power into the subs at all. You will get the loudest though where your impedance is the lowest though, like you said.

yeah, I'm glad we are at least seeing the same thing and I'm not just letting something go right over my head, ill try to do some more testing today or sometime soon and see what i can do. I've definitely seen the tape work really well for testing excursion so maybe illl try that again.

It seems to just be the nature of the beast with these walled 6ths. I did similar testing with mine, and sealed up my rear tuning was ~25hz as I planned on paper. Then as soon as I opened up the doors or windows rear tuning dropped down to 20...I'll see if I can pull up my plots from my old computer and share them on here as well.

Team NorthWestSPL

Archived