So I'm trying to figure out my box to be able to get the biggest SPL possible. I have a 98 dodge durango. I want to put 2 SMD AA 18" subs in there with 4 T2500s (not sure if that matters but I'm throwing it in there just in case it is). I've been reading that I have to match the HZ of the box with the HZ of the truck. My question is, if I am understanding this right, how do I go about figuring that out?

Some people use a 10 inch woofer in a sealed box and play test tones to find where it peaks. There is a lot of factors that go into this so when you build a box with 2 18s it could change when you try again.

My box is tuned around 34 hz but my truck peaks at 46 Hz. I wouldn't want a box tuned that high for music daily.

You're going to have to tune that box really high for resonant frequency of the truck. You'd be better off just tuning to somewhere between 32-36Hz on the box and it will get plenty loud with 10K rms

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Bowhunting- Life Begins and Ends at Full Draw

Bowhunting Team Fatal Trajectory Hunt Team

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/49335-sick96vtecaccords-t-line-build/?hl=sick96vtecaccord << Accord Build

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/68498-smokedout08impalas-tline-build/?hl=+sick96vtecaccord << Impala T-line build

Rebassed.com for all your music needs 👌

• 3 weeks later...

You have a fairly long vehicle which will also have a fairly long wavelength. In trying for maximum spl, you will want to match the frequency of the truck, the fs of the sub, the tuning of the enclosure, and the internal wavelength of the enclosure all on a harmonic frequency of each other.

Seeing as you have already decided on a sub without consideration for the resonances of everything else involved, i get the feeling that you arent actually looking to optimize this entire system for maximum spl potential, but instead are just looking for a loud musical system.

Owner of BigAss Ports

VTLOGOnotext.jpg.667f65a91c14a3f8b00ad9ab5ecdb92f.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

If you're building this to be an SPL vehicle and you don't drive it daily, or weekly, tune the box to 43-46hz and call it a day. If this is a daily driver and you listen almost strictly to the radio, tune it to 36hz. If you like listening to decaf of any kind, tune it to 30hz.

I had a box tuned to 30hz and it CRUSHED the 20-30hz range, but it didn't peak very high. I think it was 140.8db @ 38hz with 1,700 watts.

Then I upped the tuning to 38hz because my car resonates at 43hz and now I can't play any lower than 28hz without unloading BUT now it meters 144.7 @ 43 hz, but now I can't play decaf and that makes me sad.

Archived