DC Sound Lab

Im wanting to purchase 2 12" DC Audio Lv3 and run it off the DC 2k. Just had some question and wanted to know what is the 8AWG direct leads, AR cone upgrade, and Lv4 coil upgrade. What does each one do and will I need to get any of them?

I also liek how the M3 8 looks. How can I get that look on the Lv3s?

Edited by Daddy_

Car: 2012 Acura TL Elite

Head Unit: JL Audio Fix86

Front Stage : Alpine SPX-17PRO

Rear Stage : Alpine SPR-60C

Component Amp : JL Audio HD 600/4

Sub : 1 12" JL Audio W7

Sub Amp : JL Audio HD 1200

The direct leads are just that, an added length of 8 gauge wire instead of being soldered to push terminals.

The AR cone is a Kevlar type(maybe?) Carbon fiber looking cone that adds strength to the cone and an aesthetic appeal.

And the level 4 coil is just that, the level 4 coil and maybe an extra spider, I'm not sure on that don't quote me there.

They are not necessary upgrades but if you have the money then I'd say go for it. Couldn't hurt you, but if you're looking for power handling I'd step up equipment instead.

And as for the m3 8s those baskets are only available with the 8s and the higher level m3 model woofers.

If I missed anything or anything is wrong I'm going to blame it on insomnia. Regardless, I hope this was somewhat helpful. Cheers.

Edited by BigZ

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine.

The description of the options are on their website in which I've listed below. I imagine, like myself, you are wanting clarity on what they mean. I'm interested in Level 4's myself. Seems like the Level 3's would have me wanting more power.

Options

• 8ga Direct Leads- This upgrade adds 18" of 8ga OFC wire for your leads instead of using the stock push terminals
  • AR Cone- This upgrade adds the AR Cone/Surround to your sub. The cone is a kevlar impregnated reinforced cone with our large wide roll surround.
  • Carbon Fiber Dustcap- This upgrade adds our Carbon Fiber Dustcap to your subwoofer.
  • XL Upgrade- This upgrade adds the XL coil and our dual leaded spider to your Level 4 subwoofer.

Won't need the coil for power handling purposes, cone would pretty much just be an aesthetic upgrade (some may notice a slight difference in sound, but that's debatable), but direct leads are probably worth getting depending on how you plan on wiring.

I had a pair of 10" Level 3s on a DC 2k a couple years ago. They never protested, and got down pretty good. You'll be happy with the right enclosure.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

I love my level 3 12's, I switched to them from SA 12's because my ported box is a little on the small side and the DC subs do better is a smaller enclosure. I am under powering them on a Cresendo S1500.1 but they still sound louder and cleaner than the SA's. Glad I made the switch.

Edited by Boulevardvette

• 3 weeks later...

I run 1 level 3 12" and built an oversized box 1.75net @33hz..... I over power the sub to about 1200watts..... the AR cone and surround keeps everything good.... and the sub does not react ill in anyway when I play below tuning.... sometimes I let it dig down to 25's..... never even smelled the coil..... I think this upgrade is a must if you want to protect it from unloading on you