Yes that's as close as this will probably get b

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never said that.

In my 20+ year career I've critically listened to hundreds if not thousands of amps. They sound different. Every one.

Come on by the house and take the Pepsi challenge. I'm not buying it.

I already answered I'd love to do this and discuss with you in person, but just for the sake of raising the post count in the thread:

You test and go through more amps than most, and a variety of price ranges at that. Simply for the sake of full range tonality and clean, controlled power you have (what some might consider) a couple dream amps in that picture sitting unused. Why?

If you seriously can't hear the difference between any of those amps, why do you have so many? Simply raising power for your SPL vehicle? If they indeed all sound the same why change at all?

I realize this is slightly off topic in a sub amp thread and I'm talking about full range application, but if you were going to build an *gasp* SQ vehicle, which amp(s) would you put on your front stage? And would you match it with an amp of similar quality/price range on your sub stage?

Sorry for the late reply. I was at CES.

I forgot to quote it, but the response after yours is what I'd do. I covet clean power on my fronts. Not the badge. Not a claimed, yet unmeasurable sonic signature. Not to impress judges with a big price tag to trick them into giving me a higher score.

Clean power is king. And you know as well as I do that the vast majority of differences people hear in amps is intensity. And 99% of the rest of the difference is expectation bias.

You don't like Richard Clark's challenge. And most people with uber expensive amps don't. But that's because most of the people who poo poo it gleaned the wrong info. You can argue that he didn't prove that all amps sound the same, BUT... he did prove rather convincingly that all amps can *be made* to sound the same. Or close enough that he still has his $10k.

Most people don't realize it, but I am an SQ guy. I have SQ style front stages in both of my cars. I run a Pioneer p99rs in my SPL car. So I don't have to guess as to what I'd use if I were to do an SQ build. I don't put much thought into what amps I use, honestly. I run Ampere sub amps so I run Ampere multi channels too. But I've run just about anything you can imagine. That's why I can say with certainty that there are way more important things to worry about than the price tag on your highs amp.

As for all the amps in the pic... most of those are loaners for the sole purpose of trying to determine if amps do, in fact, sound different. So the invitation to come take the challenge is 100% serious. And open to anyone who cares to make the drive to Louisiana.

Lets get steve to host a battle of the budget builds, 500 system budget, subs and amps, we can leave out the mids and highs because the system will be judged on the bass any how. The bass could get metered in 3 frequencies, 30,40,50 hz

add up all 3 then average.

this could be fun

Did you guys miss my "$150 challenge"?

P.S. - update to keep the thread on track. Put the Rockville T2 in the daily bridged at 2 ohms (1 ohm per channel). Let's see how long it lasts.

Never said that.

In my 20+ year career I've critically listened to hundreds if not thousands of amps. They sound different. Every one.

Come on by the house and take the Pepsi challenge. I'm not buying it.

I already answered I'd love to do this and discuss with you in person, but just for the sake of raising the post count in the thread:

You test and go through more amps than most, and a variety of price ranges at that. Simply for the sake of full range tonality and clean, controlled power you have (what some might consider) a couple dream amps in that picture sitting unused. Why?

If you seriously can't hear the difference between any of those amps, why do you have so many? Simply raising power for your SPL vehicle? If they indeed all sound the same why change at all?

I realize this is slightly off topic in a sub amp thread and I'm talking about full range application, but if you were going to build an *gasp* SQ vehicle, which amp(s) would you put on your front stage? And would you match it with an amp of similar quality/price range on your sub stage?

Sorry for the late reply. I was at CES.

I forgot to quote it, but the response after yours is what I'd do. I covet clean power on my fronts. Not the badge. Not a claimed, yet unmeasurable sonic signature. Not to impress judges with a big price tag to trick them into giving me a higher score.

Clean power is king. And you know as well as I do that the vast majority of differences people hear in amps is intensity. And 99% of the rest of the difference is expectation bias.

You don't like Richard Clark's challenge. And most people with uber expensive amps don't. But that's because most of the people who poo poo it gleaned the wrong info. You can argue that he didn't prove that all amps sound the same, BUT... he did prove rather convincingly that all amps can *be made* to sound the same. Or close enough that he still has his $10k.

Most people don't realize it, but I am an SQ guy. I have SQ style front stages in both of my cars. I run a Pioneer p99rs in my SPL car. So I don't have to guess as to what I'd use if I were to do an SQ build. I don't put much thought into what amps I use, honestly. I run Ampere sub amps so I run Ampere multi channels too. But I've run just about anything you can imagine. That's why I can say with certainty that there are way more important things to worry about than the price tag on your highs amp.

As for all the amps in the pic... most of those are loaners for the sole purpose of trying to determine if amps do, in fact, sound different. So the invitation to come take the challenge is 100% serious. And open to anyone who cares to make the drive to Louisiana.

I got you and thanks for the intelligent conversation. :hi: I'd love to meet and talk more at some point, even do some listening if we can.

Another of my replies was that most amps do have a frequency response peak or valley in some area. Whether it's caused in the pre-amp section or elsewhere, it's there.

When we had multiple brands on our switching board (early 90-00s) THAT was the most audible difference--midrange peak vs. smooth but not much attack vs. bright in the highs.

And since it was the age of in-house design each brand's speaker line usually had the opposite characteristic so as a package they were pretty similar to each other.

Maybe now, 20 years later, that doesn't happen as much with the catalog-built amps. You are way more up to speed than I am on today's product.

I do like Richard Clark's challenge when taken for what it was--one topology vs. another and price gouging. What I don't like is people that blindly believe "all amps sound the same" without the basic knowledge simply reading the rules of his challenge would provide. That said--can be made to sound the same translates (to me) that I'd rather use the one I prefer than have to 'fix' the one I don't. Doesn't make sense to me to put $200 worth of EQ on a $200 amp to make it sound like a $300 amp, if you get what I mean. BUT if the one I prefer is less expensive, all the better.

BTW I don't run uber expensive amps with drool-worthy names on them. I think I've only mentioned one brand that I own on here if any at all. But I do know of what you speak as far as expectation bias. I could never afford to be that way and have been lucky to find what I like in my price range over the years.

Static drops are my bag.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived