Sundown Audio

just bought a rockville rxd-m4 amp

Bayuk89

My friend has one 15" rockford sub in a 2.3 cubic foot sealed box pushed by an audio planet mono block amp. Not sure models or RMS on his set up. mine is two 10" infinity 1052w 250 RMS each. Both 10's being pushed by a alpine mrp-m500 amp in a sealed box 1.0 cubic feet each. We played the same song from my phone and my system seamed louder and response was tight and hard. His had a lag and wasn't as loud. This is not an apples to apples test so it isn't fair to compare. I had 20 in of cone area to move air and he only had 15in both systems are in extended cab trucks. It could have been his amp tuning it could have been a lot of things...... it was the first 15" I ever heard, everyone else I know run 10" and 12". So for me to buy two average quality quantum 15's and an average quality 1200-1500 rms amp so I can see if I like the sound of 15" woofers... I learned about car audio from people around me. I didn't have a neighbor or friend with a $5k sound system, I'm still learning, we are all learning cuz technology is always changing. No one here was born with this audio knowledge we had to waste money and make mistakes maybe have a humble member teach us a thing or two. The opinion of 10 being snappy and a 15 being "less" is just my opinion of the mechanics of the displacement. 10" being more responsive and wider range of sound frequency than a 15". Just my understanding from what I have learned....

Ugh, cone diameter is not cone area. Your friend's single 15" has more cone area than your two 10"s do.

Saying things like 15"s sound "laggy" and 10"s sound "snappy" is a gross over-generalization. There are PLENTY of 18"s that are WAY more responsive than some 8"s or 10"s. It all depends on the particular sub and the particular system its used in. Also, you are basing your opinion on one example. Its like being used to driving a Chevy Astrovan and then driving a Ford Mustang once and then saying all Chevy's are slow and all Ford's are fast.

I understand that's why I said it wasn't an apples to apples comparison, it was just my opinion on the physical mechanics of two 10" drivers against one 15". My opinion was that I had 20" inches of outside cone area and he had 15" in my mind I though that might have been why mine seamed louder and more responsive for bass fequency than his,but I don't know all the specs of his setup or how it was tuned, other than we both had sealed boxes and similar extended cab trucks. The post was in turn with the purchase of a rockville m4 amp that a fellow member (BigDWiz) bought and dynoed on his steve Meade dyno, i though the amp to be adequate for me as a first time runner of two 15" woofers . Just to get my feet wet in the big displacement game :) gotta start somewhere, though to go with "decent" quality to see if I like the sound and tune of 15's and if not I will put the 15's on the shelf and put the 10's back in. It's all trial and error for me right now. Thank you for your input and education

Mrskippyj thank you for your input i still have ALOT of techical knowledge to learn beside ohms law and pairing subs and amps. Im sure i will "waste" more money on equipnent but i have to learn. Im reading various forums and research a few times a week. I dont have the money to buy a $500+ amp and $200+ subwoofers, i run what i got and be happy in the mean time, the money and equipnent will come. Knowledge is power !! And through humble members on this forum and time researching i gain more knowlege :) my opinions are loose based on what i have been told or read on forums so please forgive me if anything i say is inproper and give me the correct guidence so i dont sound like a fool, my opinions are a product of my envirement and if i can be educated in the right direction it will be easier on the learning curve for me. Thank you all for your honest input.

I forgot to mention my favorite, "it's good for the mon

imo it is decent for the money but the way i look at it there is a very small percentage who are willing to dump hundreds of dollars into a car system there are some of us who are hardcore into the hobby but most just want to hear something better then stock

it pretty much takes 100s of dollars to even build a cheap, crappy system. Thats the nature of it. Just like a car, it still takes 1000s to purchase a crappy vehicle.

Im not sayimg the rockville is quality but I can speak on my experience which almost all of you replying cannot about the rockville. Yalls experience in audio is much greater than mine but I have the rockville rxd-m3 in my truck. So my exp woth rockville is this: I have had the amp in for maybe 5 months. Shortly after I put it in it went into protect on me 2x. Other than that I have had 0 issues out of it. Is it quality? Hell no. If you are just teying to hear the 15 play it will work. Bit your reasonings for hearing the 15 play are off base. Stick around buddy. Tons and tons of information here. Audio is an art and Im learning it here.

Edit: im running my m3 @ 2 ohm. Who knows if you run yours at 1 ohm it may blow in 3 mins. All you can do is try and post results.

Still learning but have started gathering.

would you buy a tv that the manufacture said the screen size was 19" CEA, but was 32" average and 54" max but was in reality a 17" screen?

would you buy a tv that the manufacture said the screen size was 19" CEA, but was 32" average and 54" max but was in reality a 17" screen?

Ha. No I would not strangeduck. People get mad when I talk about the Rockvile. And I am in no way promoting it. But I will spread my exp to those who ask. Thats what were here for.

For 150 bucks, you'll get what you paid for. Not sure why all the hate. Yeah, it's nothing special and will likely fall short of rated specs.....but it was 150 bucks.

Just saying, there comes a line that you cross where you can accept flaws for the low price paid. Not saying I'd personally run that amp, but that's mainly because I can afford something better. If I was a high school/broke college student just wanting bass, sure. Same story with Hifonics. But don't shit on the kid for buying what he can afford.

smd-banner_zpsu2ojqise.png

For 150 bucks, you'll get what you paid for. Not sure why all the hate. Yeah, it's nothing special and will likely fall short of rated specs.....but it was 150 bucks.

Just saying, there comes a line that you cross where you can accept flaws for the low price paid. Not saying I'd personally run that amp, but that's mainly because I can afford something better. If I was a high school/broke college student just wanting bass, sure. Same story with Hifonics. But don't shit on the kid for buying what he can afford.

This. Do I want something better? Yes I do. But I do get to enjoy some bass until I can get there which is worth the few hundred.

Im not sayimg the rockville is quality but I can speak on my experience which almost all of you replying cannot about the rockville. Yalls experience in audio is much greater than mine but I have the rockville rxd-m3 in my truck. So my exp woth rockville is this: I have had the amp in for maybe 5 months. Shortly after I put it in it went into protect on me 2x. Other than that I have had 0 issues out of it. Is it quality? Hell no. If you are just teying to hear the 15 play it will work. Bit your reasonings for hearing the 15 play are off base. Stick around buddy. Tons and tons of information here. Audio is an art and Im learning it here.

Edit: im running my m3 @ 2 ohm. Who knows if you run yours at 1 ohm it may blow in 3 mins. All you can do is try and post results.

Good to know some else bought one and it at lease turned on. The amp is for my "starter" 15 inch set up. I don't expect it to work wonders, just need it to work and I feel that if power acustik, hifonics, boss, Pyle and so on all "work" the rockville should do the same if not i hope a little better.

Archived