Upgrade from 160a alt to 240a hairpin

Well they don't list the ampacity of the wire so I can only assume since they ship it with a 250 amp fuse that that is the max the wire can handle.

If it truly can handle 250 amps it should be fine for that amp but you have a few other things to consider,

1. Cca has increased resistance over ofc resulting in a higher amount of voltage drop which in turn causes the amp to consume more current.

2. You wiring to .5 ohm will also consume more current and that wire could limit you.

3. Corrosion resistance is superior in ofc.

4. Ofc will have more ampacity if the wires are the same size.

Cca has a few things going for it too though.

1. It's cheaper.

2. It's lighter.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Well they don't list the ampacity of the wire so I can only assume since they ship it with a 250 amp fuse that that is the max the wire can handle.

If it truly can handle 250 amps it should be fine for that amp but you have a few other things to consider,

1. Cca has increased resistance over ofc resulting in a higher amount of voltage drop which in turn causes the amp to consume more current.

2. You wiring to .5 ohm will also consume more current and that wire could limit you.

3. Corrosion resistance is superior in ofc.

4. Ofc will have more ampacity if the wires are the same size.

Cca has a few things going for it too though.

1. It's cheaper.

2. It's lighter.

So at this point with the amount of power I'm running I have no need to worry about upgrading to ofc then in terms of producing every watt I can?

Thank you that is great to know, could you find out what my max wrms would be with the 240a alt and two 110ah capacity at 20hz rate?

240 amp alt with 110 AH battery(s) charging roughly @14 volts and "idle" voltage at 12.8 would give u 3500 watts to play with on electrical support.

The app I used is ultimate car audio app I downloaded on the Google play store, it's a great app and helps a lot with box building and subwoofer wiring plus tons more :)

Thank you that is great to know, could you find out what my max wrms would be with the 240a alt and two 110ah capacity at 20hz rate?

240 amp alt with 110 AH battery(s) charging roughly @14 volts and "idle" voltage at 12.8 would give u 3500 watts to play with on electrical support.

The app I used is ultimate car audio app I downloaded on the Google play store, it's a great app and helps a lot with box building and subwoofer wiring plus tons more :)

Holy crap that's a awesome app, thank you!

I don't know what ur main battery AH rating is but if u have a 55 AH (amp hour) rated battery and add a second battery for ur amp rated at 100 ah add the ratings together it's 155 total AH now factor in ur 160 amp alt and a rough charging voltage of 14v and "resting" voltage of 12.8 my app calculations says u can handle about 3100

Assuming u have a 55 ah battery with ur 160 amp alt u can handle 2200 watts as of today with out second battery. If it was me I would just add a second battery in ur vehical close to the amp. Someone else with more experience in this area might chime in and give u the same or better plan/answer.

Are you factoring in the current consumed by the vehicle itself to run excluding the system?

Usually factory Alts are built to run that load and not very much more at all.

My rule of thumb on a factory alt no matter the batteries added(they can't charge themselves) is 1000 watts after that an high output alt should really be invested in.

No one likes burning up gear do to low voltage.

Agreed, i believe that on a completely stock vehical the alt consumption is around 30% of its rating ? I've heard of daily beaters using factory 110-130 amp alts and running one or two extra batteries for the amp. Those people mentioned aren't full tilt 110% of the time so naturally running 50% volume or amp power ur not gonna drain the batteries or cause the alt to burn out. Buy if ur doing comp or running full tilt all day every time ur in ur car I agree on multiple batteries and 200+ amp alt. I'm only pushing about 1200 watts so my set up is prolly irrelevant to yours. My deka AGM battery and factory 136 amp alt in my opinion is gonna be just fine. If I upgrade and push over 2k then yes I would agree on bigger alt and or more batteries. These are just my opinions they may work or not work for you. Glade to be part of a great knowledgeable forum full of pros that are willing to help out and give their .02 cents

I ran 8k between my frontstage and subs on my same 240A alt and ~200aH of reverse. Id drop to 11.9, but stay there. At slam fest, i demoed for the greater part of the weekend, and can count on one hand the amount of times i say 11.6 or lower. I wasnt being "careful" either ;)

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

Can someone tell me if I'm choking my 2200 with 17ft 1/0 cca pwr and ground cable?

If u ask different people they might give u different answers on CCA wire, I've been told that if u run CCA wire think of it as one gauge smaller than OFC. I personally run royal excellence welding cable, i get it at cost from work. If u think about welders pushing 100-200 amps or more through them for hours a day everyday and not to mention the heat and abrasive environment they have to endure I feel better running welding cable over "car audio" power wires. Plenty of people on here run welding wire as power and ground and u can get it in all sizes up to 4/0 if u need to :) my current build is only pulling about 1000-1200 watts so I'm running 2 ga and it's plenty thick and has good flexibility. If u choose welding cable or audio power wire look at the strand count of the wire and thickness of the wires, higher strand count = more flexibility if u need it. Also see if it's AWG standard, #4 #2 and so on might not be the same as AWG and there for prolly be smaller in copper than AWG

I ran 8k between my mids and highs on my same 240A alt and ~200aH of reverse. Id drop to 11.9, but stay there. At slam fest, i demoed for the greater part of the weekend, and can count on one hand the amount of times i say 11.6 or lower. I wasnt being "careful" either ;)

8k to tweeters and midbass is much different than 8k to a substage.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

I ran 8k between my mids and highs on my same 240A alt and ~200aH of reverse. Id drop to 11.9, but stay there. At slam fest, i demoed for the greater part of the weekend, and can count on one hand the amount of times i say 11.6 or lower. I wasnt being "careful" either ;)

8k to tweeters and midbass is much different than 8k to a substage.

You're right. That was a typo... what i meant was between my mids/highs and subs.. 7k to subs and 1k to my frontstage.

On 5/8/2011 at 7:38 PM, Kranny said:
On 5/8/2011 at 7:35 PM, 'Maxim' said:

It hurts me inside when I read stuff like this and remember you're 15

LMFAO so true

:blush:

Mitsubishi 3000GT (Old Build)

Frontstage: (2) McLaren Audio MLT-2 Tweeters & (4) PRV Audio MR Series Neo 6.5" Mids

Substage: 4 15" Hybrid Subs - Tantric Motors & Sundown Softies

Amps: Banda 2.4D Amp (Tweets), American Bass VFL 350.4 (Mids), and (2) Ampere 3800s

Electrical :Singer 260A Alt & JY Power Lithium

2005 Chevy Colorado Ext Cab

Frontstage: 4 PRV 700Ti Tweets & 6 10" Delta Mids on 3000wrms

Substage: 6 Fi BTL 18s in a 4th Order Walkthrough on 3 Wolfram 4500s

Electrical: Singer "390" and JY Power

My Official Feedback Thread

Archived