Upgrade from 160a alt to 240a hairpin

I ran 8k between my frontstage and subs on my same 240A alt and ~200aH of reverse. Id drop to 11.9, but stay there. At slam fest, i demoed for the greater part of the weekend, and can count on one hand the amount of times i say 11.6 or lower. I wasnt being "careful" either ;)

That seems really reasonable for 8k, what brand of alternator did you have?

So I got a response back from mechman and he said a 320A Is available bUT won't charge under 1000rpm what exactly does that mean? That for instance if I'm sitting at a light bumping that I will eat the alts reserve then into my battery reserve?

Most idle speeds are 600-800, meaning your alt won't charge at idle (at lights).

So I got a response back from mechman and he said a 320A Is available bUT won't charge under 1000rpm what exactly does that mean? That for instance if I'm sitting at a light bumping that I will eat the alts reserve then into my battery reserve?

Most idle speeds are 600-800, meaning your alt won't charge at idle (at lights).

So a alt like that probably won't do the best around town then? I'm really hoping to find something closer to like 270 or 280 that will do well at idle

No HO alt is going to do awesome at idle, but you should at least be looking for something that will offer some sort of output at idle. See what Mechman can offer you. Singer is good, and DC Power is the best (IMO only. Lol, I'm going to get shit for that, but I believe it.).

Oh and I've got runs of 1/0 OFC, both KnuKonceptz and SHCA. I need to pull them out and measure them, but they are terminated and techflexed. If you're interested, I'll beat the welding wire price.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

So a alt like that probably won't do the best around town then? I'm really hoping to find something closer to like 270 or 280 that will do well at idle

Look into Singer (www.singeralternators.com) or DC Power Inc. as well. Mechman isn't the only option

Most people with heavy bass set ups dont demo at idle. They have their throttle turned up with extra throttle cable or hold down the gas pedal till 1500 or more RPM. Do you plan on being full tilt all the time when ur vehical is running ?

He daily drives the vehicle so he needs something with a lower turn on speed or his car isn't going to run properly.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived