Upgrade from 160a alt to 240a hairpin

I wouldn't be upset if your lights still dim after. It takes only a small amount of loss for your lights to dim, hard to avoid that with simply any alternator upgrade. A 240A hairpin should do a decent amount at idle, but remember that it takes some RPMs to wake up any alt. You still won't be getting a huge amount at idle. But it will be an upgrade for sure.

You should add a battery or two though, or supercaps, to make up for the slow response (relatively speaking) of an alt.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And I should add that my amp is a sq2200.2 pushing a hdc315. So if I went from this current setup and bought my alt, Batts, and a nother hdc3 and wired to .5 I won't experience much of a increase in sound?

You would notice an increase.

I would get another 2200 to go with the extra sub you want to add, then you'd notice a huge difference.

And you wouldn't have to wire to .5 ohm

What I'm afraid though of is buying another amp and killing off the new alternator. I feel like if Im barely getting buy with a 160a and 1 2200 that a 240a alt couldn't support two 2200s

Comparing a stock type alt to a good 6 phase hairpin alt is like comparing a dog to a shark.

A good 240 + amp hairpin alt and a proper battery bank will support 4K no problem.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

I wouldn't be upset if your lights still dim after. It takes only a small amount of loss for your lights to dim, hard to avoid that with simply any alternator upgrade. A 240A hairpin should do a decent amount at idle, but remember that it takes some RPMs to wake up any alt. You still won't be getting a huge amount at idle. But it will be an upgrade for sure.

You should add a battery or two though, or supercaps, to make up for the slow response (relatively speaking) of an alt.

Alright good to know, I'm really just worried about straining my new alt, I'm sure my 160 is taking a beating. And I'm thinking I'll be adding at least one kinetik hc2400 at 110ah

And I should add that my amp is a sq2200.2 pushing a hdc315. So if I went from this current setup and bought my alt, Batts, and a nother hdc3 and wired to .5 I won't experience much of a increase in sound?

You would notice an increase.

I would get another 2200 to go with the extra sub you want to add, then you'd notice a huge difference.

And you wouldn't have to wire to .5 ohm

What I'm afraid though of is buying another amp and killing off the new alternator. I feel like if Im barely getting buy with a 160a and 1 2200 that a 240a alt couldn't support two 2200s
Comparing a stock type alt to a good 6 phase hairpin alt is like comparing a dog to a shark.

A good 240 + amp hairpin alt and a proper battery bank will support 4K no problem.

Sweet. Seems like either way I go I'm making a good choice going with a quality ho alternator. Thank you.

Alright good to know, I'm really just worried about straining my new alt, I'm sure my 160 is taking a beating. And I'm thinking I'll be adding at least one kinetik hc2400 at 110ah

There are some good local batteries too if you'd rather go that route. Sears Diehard Platinum are my favorite. A little more expensive, but local and great warranty. Just throwing out options.

"Clipping" is the biggest forum boner now. It's like witchcraft... it automatically explains just about everything people don't understand.

My build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/200295-gckless-2011-chevrolet-impala/

High resolution photos: Gilbert Kless Photography

There are some good local batteries too if you'd rather go that route. Sears Diehard Platinum are my favorite. A little more expensive, but local and great warranty. Just throwing out options.

Thank you for the suggestion I'll check them out.

Can someone tell me if I'm choking my 2200 with 17ft 1/0 cca pwr and ground cable?

What brand of wire?

Personally i never use anything but ofc.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

Archived