Pioneer Head Unit, and a NVX JAD 1200.1

Ok, so I have a Pioneer AVH#### head unit, and the volume it distorts at is 37. So when adjusting the gain on the JAD 1200.1 I can max out the gain on the amp and still get no distortion, but even when I have the gain all the way up and put the actual head unit into distortion above 37 I still get no distortion from the amplifier. I do notice that when adjusting the gains I hit tiny bits of distortion but it quickly goes away. Could there possibly be an issue somewhere with the amp? Has anyone had any similar issues? Note that I have 2 of these amps and I get similar results with both of them. I know it may be a slim chance both of them would have the same problems, but you never know.

Make sure all EQ's and crossovers are set to flat/open. On the head unit and the amp.

What track are you using?

those^

also, where are you connecting the probes to on the amp and are you getting a signal light?

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

I have my HU EQ set to flat, and the amp all the way up, and I was trying for the -10db track. I checked on the 0db track and I could only get a real faint bit of distortion (light flickering) with the gain set to max. I am pretty puzzled. It is hooked to the outputs of the amp itself with the probes. I checked the head unit itself through the RCA's directly to figure out the distortion point of the head unit, but like I said even when i would put the head unit into distortion I wouldn't see it out of the amp either. Yes I am getting the signal light, and the 40hz light to come on also.

Edited by -Stov3top-

• 1 month later...

That seems like a crossover setting issue to me, thinking back at past problems other members have had. So I'll run through the proper steps for you to follow to ensure everything is setup completely.

All filters and EQ's on HU set to off or flat. Sub/low level set to zero.

Subwoofer amp RCAs connected to HU's sub out preouts.

On the amplifier, low pass filter turned completely clockwise, subsonic filter turned completely counter clockwise, and gain (line) turned completely counter clockwise.

DD-1 on, red probe inserted and tightened down on amplifier speaker out positive, DD-1 black probe/clip connected to amplifier ground (if all steps before and after this step have not worked, connect black lead to amplifier speaker negative and retry)

Play 40hz tone with the desired attenuation

Adjust gain/line potentiometer clockwise slowly until distortion LED lights and remains lit, then back down gently until LED extinguishes.

Are you tuning it with the amplifier hooked up to reactive load? (subwoofer). If not, that's probably it. The amplifier could be too smart for its own good. If you to have a reactive load hooked up, it's either a crossover issue or the simple fact that your preout voltage is so low that even at max gain the amplifier still has decent headroom for the wave. NVX amplifier are surprisingly decent for what they are, so i'd imagine they have quite a bit of headroom and possibly some sort of wave filtering that might reconstruct the signal. Just a guess.

Don't trust a shop but you personally just smoked two decks, makes sense.

03' Trailblazer LT
Dayton Designer 6.5"s & Silkie tweeters
Dayton Audio Ultimax 18"
Pioneer 9601 & 8604
XS Power D3400
2 runs 1/0
Singer 250

Are you tuning it with the amplifier hooked up to reactive load? (subwoofer). If not, that's probably it. The amplifier could be too smart for its own good. If you to have a reactive load hooked up, it's either a crossover issue or the simple fact that your preout voltage is so low that even at max gain the amplifier still has decent headroom for the wave. NVX amplifier are surprisingly decent for what they are, so i'd imagine they have quite a bit of headroom and possibly some sort of wave filtering that might reconstruct the signal. Just a guess.

The DD-1 presents a reactive load to the amp, it's designed into the circuitry. No need to wire a sub to the amp, and i highly suggest any DD-1 user doesn't do so, especially when OP can go maximum gain without reading distortion, as he's likely to fry the sub.

• 2 months later...

I also have this same issue as the OP and have a Pioneer AVH HU. Doesn't seem like there was any way to make it work. I definitely followed the instructions this isn't the first time using it and the DD1 worked flawless on all the other amps and HU's. I just don't get it. Any suggestions?

Edited by AzureX